PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Figurines and Anime

Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
DarthVader Minion

Due to the popular acceptance of the StormTrooper Minion and many many request for their Boss(Yes JohnM I hear you!!) , I have decided to design/make Darth Vader Minion.

I surfed the internet for a while and found several depictions of this character.
There were two versions that called my attention.
One being an old school customized figure and another a 3D model mesh used to 3D print a physical figure.
Here are the pictures of both:

After analyzing these designs , you can tell that what defines this character is the helmet, so I returned to surfing the internet in search of paper-craft designs of the helmet, and oh man!
I found several versions of this, as you can see as follow

I decided to use the file shared in the site therpf.com that allows you to create in foam, a real size Darth Vader helmet.
Parts in this specific model are very few and seems to render fine when scaling them down.
I scaled and deformed it a little bit in order to accommodate our friends unique head shape and did a mock-up of the main part.

I convinced a fellow friend to wear it to see what where the proportions

Off course the final guy will be taller!!
That is all for today, I hope to have some more advances this week or next, since this is month end week and a thing called 'Work' is interfering with my spare time.

Best regards
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Now this looks like it will be a fun build!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Right with you there, mate. All I've got left to do on my Darth is the helmet and cloak, but getting a half decent helmet has so far eluded me. Plus of course, for the last couple of weeks I've not been able to handle the scissors at all.

I am (was ) working at a much smaller ( 2.5" tall) size though. I guess it makes more sense to do the reworking in a bigger scale first ... and shrink it when perfected.

I also have an unfinished version of your Trooper on the desk, with another (also unfinished) that I have lengthened the body quite a bit. Something has gone wrong in the scaling of these though. The face cover seems to be about 10% too small, and the bit that goes round the back is about 10% too long.

As I've shrunk the whole design to 25%, I have now got all the parts on one page and am experimenting on the sizing of the parts, but until I can get a successful build I can't tell if they fit any better. Also on the desk is a slightly different designed, reduced size, "Santa" Trooper helmet from Paper-Replika that I was going to try to use, but my fingers won't let me finish that either. I did get it's Santa hat done though, and it looks really good on your Xmas Minion.

So I reckon you're gonna get done with these long before me. No matter ... I ain't proud ... I'll be quite happy to shrink yours down to fit in with my gang.

As I've always said ... I'm a builder, not a designer, but I admit it was fun to have a go, and I've learned a bit too.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 AM

John:
I'm glad to read that you are giving it a try at building STminion.
You should try using tweezers for those too-small assemblies, or other tools like toothpicks and big sewing needles, that is what I do when building small kits.
One thing I found when doing the chubby companion for the original is that you should scale the helmet to the same % you are scaling the minion body.
Not sure if this might help but since I did not clearly understood how you were scaling I wanted to share this idea.
Today I will do a mock-up of the respirator mask to determine correct scale and final parts
I will also try to modify the minion body to be a tall-two-eyed minion.
I will experiment with the position of the eyes since I feel that they should be a little lower than the usual to still give the impression that his head goes all the way into that helmet.
Will post pictures if I manage to make some advances.
Cheers
Old 02-28-2015, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I too have quite a collection of tweezers, various surgical clamps and instruments, and a very large illuminated magnifying glass that I use for manipulating small parts, but regrettably at the moment I just cannot hold them properly. Although it's now 8 days since I took the last of the Chemo tablets, I still have very little feeling in the palm side of my hands, right up to the finger tips. Feet, toes, lips and tongue are similarly affected, but they don't affect my modeling.

My next hospital appointment is on Friday 6th of March. Hopefully things will have cleared up more by then, but I must admit that I'm getting a bit worried in case this is a permanent affliction.

I took the car for it's annual MoT test on Friday (30 mile round trip) with no adverse problems, other than that the EPS (Electronic Power Steering) W/lt came on half way there, and in these winding Welsh lanes it was pretty obvious it had stopped working. I got to the test station early, so it was switched off for a while, and on switching on again the W/Lt was out, the EPS was working fine, and it has been OK ever since. Must be a Micro-Soft program in it's computer ... switch off and back on again = all's well again. Happy to say the car passed with flying colours, which surprised me 'cos before a brief shake down on the Thursday, it hadn't moved a wheel since I got struck down in June.

AND ... for our next challenge after a successful D.Vader ...

50 Shades of Minion ????

Old 02-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
OMG that is so funny, love it Johnny..........Rich
Old 02-28-2015, 04:51 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
And I said it before

Thats just not right.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 PM

I'm with you Texman..

Ok, I finally managed to finish both parts , the helmet and the mask.
But there is something not quite right when Ol'Cap wears it.
I though it was his eyes, so I used other pair.

then I changed to more textures related to the real mask.

Then I changed the color to black to be closer to the final model.

Still don't like it...
Any suggestions/ideas/critiques are welcome.

Best regards
Old 02-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I like the black ones....looks more sinister.....Rich
Old 03-08-2015, 01:09 PM

After some days thinking how to create the glossy texture that is the signature of the helmet.... I decided to go old school by painting the white paper test I did, with a black spray can.
This is the first time I try this, and after several light coats, I liked the result.
I applied a clear coat at the end.

These pictures were taken on the most restricted room in the Death Star... Authorities are still looking for the photographer..

Not bad for a $1.50 spray paint can.
Google Adsense