PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Figurines and Anime

Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Webdude's Lightning McQueen

Hello All,

I'm building something way out of my norm here. My Nephew is a huge Cars fan so when I saw Webdude's models I sent a link to the brother in law hoping he may try to build some for his son. His reply was hey you know his B-Day is coming up :P So I'm doing the build instead. Oh well always try to learn something new I say.

Even though it has very few parts I have found it a challenge as I'm not usually a car model builder. 1st thing i did was to eliminate all tabs and do inside strip tabs. Quite an effort for a model that may not survive long.

I did make a somewhat big but correctable mistake. I addes tabs along the wheel wells and when I addes the underside the wells seems too long :P I took another look at the PDO and low and behold the wells are not flush to the outer panels :P Had to cut off all the tabs there.

Got the body completed except for securing the wells to the inner body sides. I also need to touch up the wheels and mount them. Seems there is no axel support for this one as many of the other models have but I'll figure that out tomorrow. It's late and I'm outta juice :P Not much more to go build wise then it's clear coat and in a box for the B-Day coming up.

Though it's not really my thing this was an incredibly fun model to build. I and I'm sure the nephew thank you Webdude :D

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08290001.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08290003.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08290004.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08300006.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08300007.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Thumbs up

It looks like you did a wonderful job of it!

Many thanks for the build thread and photos!:D
Old 08-30-2009, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
hi Getter1
very nice build, thanks for the tip on internal flaps, i tried to do it but could not get it to fit properly, per haps i built t "backwards" but seing your pics i think i know how to do it
always a pleasure to watch the result of someone who knows what they are doing
/Håkan
Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys for the compliments :D

Yeah internal tabs are a bit more work but they produce a much nicer finish I have another method using existing tabs. If you fold the tab down and with a pair of needle nose pliers bend it back up just past the initial bend you essentialy make a "step-tab". This can produce a similiar effect as an internal tab

I should have Lightining done today. I was going to do Mater for him as well but I don't know if I have time to finish it before his B-Day :P Oh so many things to do and never the time or energy :P

G1
Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
i can tell you that Mater is much more complicated than Lightning is, but well worth the effort
/Håkan
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Hello All,

Gettin real close now.

I painted the white inside the wheel well sides black. Also painted the edges of the tires with "charcoal" acrylic paint, and the axels black.

I messed up again. I had the axels reversed as th efront one is longer than the rear. I wan't paying attention to which one I grabbed and the oblong wheels were fun enough to align that i didn't want to remove em and do that all over agian. I thought the wider axel was fine in the rear so I left it well alone. The front was a problem as the wheels were inset too far so I cut the axel in half. I then made an inner tube to extend the axel and placed a strip over the gap to hide the ugly cut from the extention :P Easy fix.

Now it's just a bit more edge coloring to do and its off to clear coat :D

Enjoy,
G1
Attached Thumbnails
Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08300001.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08300002.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-08300003.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Cool build G1... as always! :D
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 PM

All that's left to do is clear coat but have to do that at work as I have nowhere to spray here yet :P Hopefully will be done by tomorrow :D

G1
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 365.92 MB
He looks great, Getter1.

SteveK
Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Evening All,

Well got it all clear coated and now the wheels are on making this build done :D

Just in time to as the boy's B-Day is tomorrow and no I have no intentions of pic-ing the model corpse when he gets ahold of it :P

I started using Testor's Dullcoat for the wheels and underside but though is always looked good on paint it was having a frosting effect ont he paper so I used the Tamyia clear overall. I intended the Tamyia only for the car body but had to use it everywhere and I must say I like the results. It didn't come out as glossy as I thought it would. Now I know what I will be using more often to protect paper models. I do want to try Krylon once to see how it works but that will be on another model.

Can you see the water spot on the front in earlier pix? I had to do a "Texture repair". To do it I re-printed the paret on regular printer paper and glued it down over the damaged part. The overall model was built with 110 lbs. stock.

Hope you all like the pix :D Thanks agian Webdude for making these models

G1
Attached Thumbnails
Webdude's Lightning McQueen-09020004.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-09020005.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-09020006.jpg   Webdude's Lightning McQueen-09020007.jpg  
Google Adsense