PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
You guys have covered this very well....my input as usual is not necessary.

But as usual I am compelled to move my lips and make incoherent noises
(I feel left out if I don't)

so, just some quick thoughts...

When I first started card modelling, I bought 110lb cardstock from Staples.
I fell in love with it and used it for every printed model of any scale.

I shyed away from very small models so the card weight was not a big issue.

When I started designing my own models, I started dealing with much smaller parts
and so I tried 65lb cardstock.
It was also cheaper and more readily available in the shops.

To be honest, it is now my main choice for all building, it is a good balance between thin enough to roll fairly tightly
and heavy enough to support its own weight (unlike plain paper).

I use 65lb card when calculating in the design process.
I allow for .22mm card thickness in all related measurements.

(I think 110lb card comes in about .27mm)

And just one more thought:
if you are like me, you look for deals when buying cardstock.
I often look for the cheapest prices
...but I have learned that cheap quite often relates to poor surface,
bad print quality and overall disappointment.
It is definitely worth paying the extra few dollars for the brand name or better product.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This topic is addressed very well in this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing their knowledge and expertise.

I too am a novice builder and work exclusively with 1:33 scale aircraft. I try to avoid printing out models simply because my printer is rather old and the color is not consistent. However I found a beautiful model from GreMir which I just had to make. So I crossed my fingers and decided to make the plunge.

I decided to try Wausau 90 lbs card stock which I picked up at a local print shop. The thickness (.007" or .17mm) seems to be good for this scale. However I've found that this cardstock acts like a sponge. You'll need to be very conservative about the amount of glue or water used. This may be because of the brand of paper but next time I'll probably kick it up to 110 lbs.

As far as laminating, I've tried everything and have found that spray adhesive, time, and a 3 book collection of Calvin and Hobbes works the best. Personally, I prefer to avoid laminating because I find my inspiration wanes when I have to wait for the drying/press time. Because of this I set out to find a card stock which was around .5mm to reduce the amount of lamination I would have to do. After many hours of conversion and pounding on the calculator I found that 160lb cover stock would be in the ball park. This isn't a common weight for cover stock so it's not easy to find. However, after searching the web for a bit I found a company called thepapermillstore.com which carries it and they even sell sample packs of 7 sheets with free shipping. I bought a sample pack and was extremely pleased. The grain is dense and it is high quality stuff. Best thing is that it mics out at exactly .5mm (.019"). This stuff greatly reduces waiting time. Now all I have to do is get off the computer and get to work!!

Happy Modeling!