PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
You forgot an important basic tool...those fold lines won't score themselves.

Most people use a dead pen (ballpoint pen that has run out of ink), a dull exacto blade (easy to come by after a few models), but anything that comes to a dull point will work (a dull point is essential, you want to convince the paper to bend in a straight line, not cut it).
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Got it Murph! Thanks!
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell_zantoz View Post
Just received my order of Amazon.com: ALVIN GMK818 Self-Healing Cutting Mat Hobby Kit 12x18": Home & Garden and I it comes cheap, too. Would be a very good investment for beginners and serious builders alike. It basically covers all the tools needed to start in this hobby. Just add the glue and we're ready to roll. The package consists of a 12" x 18" self-healing mat, an art knife with 10 spare blades, a rotary cutter and a circle cutter. For under $20, I think this is a steal.
Thanks for the info. I needed a new cutting mat, so I ordered the ALVIN set for less than what I could get just the mat for at my local Michael's. Great deal.

Garland
Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
That cutting mat is a good deal! For those that do go to Michaels, there is usually a 40% off coupon found in the weekly flyer. It is only valid for 1 item, and only on Tuesdays.

Some other things that I think were not mentioned:
Clamping tools - clothespins, small alligator clips (toothless), low-tack tape
French curves - used to guide both cuts and scores
Hole punch

Although many of us are guilty of spending a fair amount on tools, most of the tools can be made or found from household items. You really don't have to spend a lot on this hobby.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Good advice all around.
One thing I found with the clothespins is if you switch them around a bit you get some clamps that can get into tight areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Beginner's Toolbox - Tools and software to get started with Paper Modeling-clothespins.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
OK, a little help is needed from anyone who travels by air and takes a kit and models along for the ride. I find that I will be traveling quite abit and I have the implements of destruction listed above, but I am thinking to pack everyone in my checked bag and avoid the hassle at check in. Is that anyione else does? thanks for the info.

Joe
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 130.59 MB
I certainly do... Due to the nature of my job, I travel quite a bit and for extended periods.

I have a plastic case that I put some foam in side of to help keep stuff from bouncing around. It holds my knives, extra blades, a small straight edge, assorted sized rods, and my punch sets...

With today's airport security, you definately want to put it in your checked luggage. The foam helps to prevent any damage to your items, because we know how delicate the baggage handlers are with our luggage.

The biggest problem that I've found when traveling is when I want to print something out... There isn't always a Kinko's or some other company that can print stuff out for you close by, (my last trip was a 2+ hour drive to a Kinkos), so if you have something in mind, make sure to pack it as well... And if it's an electronic copy, you may want to print out a couple of extra copies so that you have extra parts if necessary, and they are all from the same printer. When traveling with printed items, you may want to put it in a heavy file folder, or between heavy cardboard to protect it (again, to prevent damage from the airport gorillas).
Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This topic is very useful for beginners - congratulations, it helped me.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Glad to hear it. If you have any other beginners tips, feel free to add them here, or any more advanced techniques, start a thread!
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Some great info there guys. Thank you for passing it along. It will be used. wc
Google Adsense