PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Can you propose me a "tools case" for putting all the stuff together? Something not very expensive. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracumel View Post
Can you propose me a "tools case" for putting all the stuff together? Something not very expensive. Thanks.
I've used a shoebox, a candy tin, and a cloth pencil case on various occasions to transport my tools from my desk when on vacation etc. On my desk I have a couple ceramic cups that my wife made in a class she took which work well to keep the desk fairly organized. I've also seen people use small fishing tackle boxes to organize their tools. Anything you can find that's big enough for all your tools will do, and if there are compartments to organize them, all the better.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Just so happens I bought this for £10 last week at my local BJ's value house......a local firm...with a slightly amusing name. But here is one on ebay as it is made by Blackspur. STORAGE BOX WITH 4 MULTI ORGANIZER CASE TRAYS TOOLS FISHING SEWING 52 COMPARTMEN | eBay
Blackspur make really cheap and often not fit for purpose tools. I am hoping it last ok, although thinking about it, I should have bought a second for when (if) it breaks. I have used it at home to sort out the majority of my papermodelling and other modelling tools. The only thing I couldn't fit in there is a footlong ruler and I also haven't put glue in there in case it leaks. I will attach some pics to show you how much stuff I've got in it.

It measures roughly H 10" x W 12" x D 6". The top lid spaxe is big enough to take loads of stuff and even has a deep lid so you don't have to get everything flush with the sides.

The front has a flap which when unclips lets you have access to four removable trays. Each tray has two clips and along the front inside is a long section and then two other sections with removable dividers.

Well worth £10 in my book and I have done away with about 3 other containers and now have most stuff in one holder. Being cheap, I'm not sure the plastic would hold up to being thrown around while travelling but is fine sat in a cupboard or on a desk.
Attached Thumbnails
Beginner's Toolbox - Tools and software to get started with Paper Modeling-imag0028.jpg   Beginner's Toolbox - Tools and software to get started with Paper Modeling-imag0029.jpg   Beginner's Toolbox - Tools and software to get started with Paper Modeling-imag0030.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Bought a second hand breif case ($2.75). Open area for cutting mat plus pockets for knives, embosser, rulers, rotary cutter etc..Tape, glues, everything has a place.

DO NOT TRY to take this on an airplane however.

Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I use a nice wooden cigar box that I picked up from the local cigar store to pack my tools into when traveling. The price was right... Free for the asking
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Could I have a late addition to this...? A set of wire-gauge drills heads (and a handle) can be very useful for making small holes especially on cardboard
Old 04-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
Another tool that is very handy, especially if you don't have access to a circle cutter is a couple of pairs of nail clippers as these are good for trimming the outside edges of a circle...
I have found that a good pair of cuticle scissors works very well for cutting small round parts. The curved blade follows the radius nicely if you take a little time.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Been using a leather hole punch for certain size holes. Works great and is fast for small ones.

Bought a Actylene torch tip cleaner drill kit (less than $5) that uses really small drill bits. The holder has knurled locations to use you fingers to create the twisting motion for drilling.

Mike
Old 06-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
My standard glue applicator is a bamboo barbecue skewer. They come in various sizes and lengths. The best part of using one for gluing is that you can clean/reshape the tip very easily with the flat/back side of an X-Acto blade and a cheap emory board. The non-sharp side of the blade "carves" away the dried glue without really cutting the skewer. But having a paper towel handy to wipe as you go and picking off as much dried glue as you can with your fingers does just as good as the blade/sanding method most of the time.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 162.75 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracumel View Post
Here's the one I use.. Only $10 at Michaels

Artbin
Google Adsense