PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
is it necessary to clear coat a paper model when done?

Is IT necessary to clear coat a model when completed?If so will Microflat do?
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2016, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Necessary? No.

But. If the model was inkjet printed the slightest bit of moisture could cause the toner to break down. Personally I try to build models that could easily be redone if they get damaged, but also should the mood strike me to build a new one just for the fun of it. Also, I haven't had much luck with aerosol clear coats in the past, so I just don't bother trying anymore.

If I want something to be truly durable, I use peel and stick laminating sheets. This is a bit tricky as you need both a color set of parts, which you laminate, and a grayscale set that you don't. The grayscale parts become backing for the laminated parts as you have to cut out and cut off the gluing tabs/positions from the laminated parts. Here's a sample of the technique:

I like to build these as dollhouses/toy castles for kids to play with. The laminate gives them the ability to wipe it off with a slightly damp cloth. I also like to build Canon automata, lucky cats and other fun things as gifts for people.

Anyhoo. Other than being careful that's what I do if I want a model to last.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow!most impressive!Was that a kit or did you design it yourself?I cannot imagine how long that must have taken!