PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
What happens to my scale when print after I use Gimp?

Hi Guys....can you help me?

I've been using Gimp for a little while now - mainly to import model files and either rearrange to fit on a single page or to print of extra bits.

One thing that I just can't work out is this...

If I import an image when I print out the altered image it is always SMALLER than the original - for instance, it seems to mean an increase from 100 to 107/8% to attain the original image size - what am I doing wrong?

It's fine if I'm just printing off extra pieces because I can print numerous times at different magnification until I get it right, but now I want to increase an entire model from 1-87 to 1-72 but, unless I know for definate that when I print it at an increase of 120% (the step up from 1-87 to 1-72) I could well be printing at LESS than 1-72!

Can anyone help?

Thanks all
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I have found that if the resolution of the original is not the same as the resolution that the graphics program is set to then the size of the imported parts are altered. Check to make sure the resolution of the canvas in Gimp is the same as the resolution of the model file.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 AM

Thanks - Where do I find the resolution of the original image (usually a pdf file?)
Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 AM

When I go to open the file (in GIMP2) the file gives me the image size 827x1169 pixels in this case, I always increase the resolution to generally 400/500 pixels per inch. I guess its somewhere during this process that I'm making my mistake?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello shandymond,

if you want to import a pdf-file in gimp and to scale it, its not as easy and comfort then in other programs which aren't freeware. But you have full control over the process and that is a good and important point for gimp!

First of all: If you want to import a pdf-file gimp shows you a box with a given resolution. You can read in this box your pic has lala pix in x- and lulu pix in y-direction.
The next line shows that the pic is maybe imported with 100 pix per inch. That not much for your purpose, you can use a higher resolution say f. e. 300 pix per inch.

Let's say your pdf file page has a original size f.e. 8 x 11 inch: with the resolution of 300 pix per inch you get in x-direction 2400 pix and in y-direction 3300 pix.

And now there is the importing thing to know: If you want to scale your pic f.e. two times larger (smaller) , you go to -> image -> scale image and in this box you find only a possibilty to control the resolution: And here you have to take a resolution of 150 (600) pix per inch to get the right size of your pic.

If now yor pic is larger as your printer can work with, the printer driver of gimp takes a resolution that it can be printed (the other way round to make pics smaller, there is no problem). So you have to cut your big pic in smaller units that find place on a page the printer can print and that with the correct size (means resolution you have adjusted before in the scaling box) you want.

I hope that will help you, even my english is driving a native speaker crazy.
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 AM

Hi Peaceglue, Thanks for your reply but all I really want to resolve is why, if I import a picture into GIMP when I print that picture it is SMALLER than the original image. I sort of understand what SCEtoAUX is saying but have been unable to work out how to make it work in practice!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hi shawndymond,

i'm not shure wether i understand you right, but gimp is mainly pixeloriented, even in printing. If your print of your pics are to small then you shall have a look in the second tab of the print dialog: Here you control the size of printing: less pixels per inch --> bigger print, more pixels per inch --> smaller print, try it! Maybe thats the solution you searched for.

greetings
peaceglue