PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.04 MB
Smile Models with and without tabs!!!!!!??

Hi ALL,

Hope every one is fine and dandy; just come to wondering, as to why, some models are offered with tabs to connect parts together, and, other are not !!!?????.

I have noted that, the vast majority that do not support tabs, tends as a whole, to be the private, on their own, designers, and, the purchaseable models, if one can put it that way, tend to offer tabs.

Seeing that, on the whole it is by far the easiest way to build using tabs, what is the idea behind not offering them on some models, and more over, what is the best and confired way of fixing parts together, in this manner of model??.

Perhaps this has been asked before, can`t find any refferance in search, so, possed the question here, and might add that, i get many many people ask me the above, and i would love an accurate aas such answer to give them.

My regards to all and best as always,

Tom........

Last edited by mckinnell; 06-14-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I think it's just a personal preferance.
I for one do not use tabs and usually cut them off if they are printed on the kit. I will add my own glue strips onto the back side of the piece if required. By doing this I get a much cleaner and flush joint.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Tabs created step between two parts. That kill the shape specially if one is build a aircraft or ship hull. A lot of modeler prefer tabs separate from the parts so they can glue the tab under the two joining parts. That way you don't get step edge between the joining parts but smooth joining edge.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Tabs require lots of extra work in the design process and lots of extra work in the cutting process. Generally speaking, I do not use them so I do not draw them.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.04 MB
OK, now, but, devils you know what,

If a new modeler was to do a kit with no tabs etc etc, what would be his best approach to fixing parts together; let say he has never used or done a paper/card model, but, is wanting to give it a go, what`s your answer to him/her????...

NO!!!!!, you can`t say "take up cooking either"...lol lol..

Tom.........

Last edited by mckinnell; 06-14-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Make a second copy of the kit, slightly larger than the original. Then, where the parts would join, cut a tab out of the second kit to use as a joining tab. And it's already colored!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned

The best way to make a part without tabs is to make strips on one parts as a way to connect the 2 pieces. You are in essence making your own tab, only where you need it and for the reason you need it. You will end up with a nice flat tight seam. That is way the better models don't have tabs, it is assumed you will do what is necessary.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 PM

I know some people believe that tabs make assembly easier, especially beginners, but consider the fact that the edges of cardstock also accept glue. After all, the thickness of the cardstock is a viable dimension.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Tom, my recommendation is to cut some strips of regular copy paper (about 20 lb weight) that are about 1/4 inch wide. When you encounter a join, glue a piece of the copy paper to the back of one of the pieces, leaving about 1/8 inch of the copy paper sticking out as the "tab." If the join seam has curves, it will be necessary to cut little triangles out of the new tab to allow it to fit around the curve. In my own practice, when possible (especially on parts that are big flat surfaces) I back the part with 1mm or 2mm cardboard, and use the backing edge to provide the gluing surface. This is especially useful on ship models for building superstructure parts...it not only increases the gluing area, but stiffens up the structure....my infameous 'box within a box' technique. As with most things, the more experience you have making the models, the easier it becomes to tell when a part needs a tab if none are provided.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Being a fairly new (and not very prolific) builder I quickly decided that tabs don't work that well for good seams. I use pretty much the method that Darwin describes, probably who I got it from to start with.
Google Adsense