PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
cutting/folding

hello everyone

i have been on this site for more than two years now and still don't know how do u guys make such models

i might really sound like a complete noob but how on earth do u fold and cut models that accurate and i've seen many tool that i don't even know what they mean in my language like circle cutter i mean what is a circle cutter i never saw one and i never used one i cut my circles in the old way (using scissors) and xacto knives (if i spelled it right) the first time i saw one was today and i thought okay i'm a total newbie

so my question is what r the simple alternatives for these tools (xacto knives , circle cutters , cutting boards , compass (if i spelled that right too) ) and please i don't need an answer saying go pick that at the local hardware store as we really don't have these shops around at all

sorry for talking too much and thnx in advance

ultra stone
Google Adsense
Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
This is a compass circle cutter:
cutting/folding-olfa-cutter.jpg
You can adjust the radius of the circle, but it cannot cut very small circles.

This is a cutting mat:
cutting/folding-olfa-mat.jpg
They can be of different colors or even clear. They are made of various types of plastic.

Most of the tools mentioned on this forum can be found at an office supply store or a craft store.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hello Ultra,
here you can see a kind of compass Rotary cutter:
OLFA

in the attached photo, there are various pliers, knives (cut balsa) and glue, which I use.

If you are a beginner do not attempt complex models.
Rather you need to focus on very simple models in order to learn to use tools (scissors are fine too) and adhesives, and above all learn to fold paper (for this, follow the forum that is full of explicit photos).

In any case, do not give up, never give up!
If you fail, have patience and start of new line. You'll that in the end succeed.

Orazio
Attached Thumbnails
cutting/folding-cutter.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
This is a compass circle cutter:
Attachment 96301
You can adjust the radius of the circle, but it cannot cut very small circles.

This is a cutting mat:
Attachment 96302
They can be of different colors or even clear. They are made of various types of plastic.

Most of the tools mentioned on this forum can be found at an office supply store or a craft store.
thnx man this really helps PS.i know office suppply stores (here we call them libraries) but what is a craft store ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahorace View Post
Hello Ultra,
here you can see a kind of compass Rotary cutter:
OLFA

in the attached photo, there are various pliers, knives (cut balsa) and glue, which I use.

If you are a beginner do not attempt complex models.
Rather you need to focus on very simple models in order to learn to use tools (scissors are fine too) and adhesives, and above all learn to fold paper (for this, follow the forum that is full of explicit photos).

In any case, do not give up, never give up!
If you fail, have patience and start of new line. You'll that in the end succeed.

Orazio
thnx wow this is the first time i see a circle cutter (they don't seem complex i can make one on my own i think)

iam not an absolute beginner i've been modeling for almost four years now but u can count me as a beginner thnx for the advice (may i just ask what r the top two tools)

thnx for everything guys
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
A craft store is a store that sells items for various hobbies. Most have supplies for sewing, painting, sculpting, building models of various types, and items that I don't have a clue why people would want them.

Most of these items are also available on the internet.
Google Adsense
Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Personally, I think that for general modeling, cutting circles by hand (with a knife or scissors) is plenty sufficient. The circle cutter comes in handy when doing things like tanks, other multi-wheeled vehicles, rocket formers, etc., i.e. when you have a *lot* of circles to cut. But even then it's just a shortcut to get clean circles quickly. Don't consider yourself less of a modeler because you don't have one.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
Well this video will give you a basic idea of how to cut and fold paper card models. Though this only basic square shapes, as you have time to practice, you can go on to cutting and scoring complex curves and shapes.

‪Paper Modeling Tutorials: Cutting & Scoring‬‏ - YouTube

It helped me a lot when i was starting. Feel free to google for more tutorials. And remember, practice and patience is the key.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
A craft store is a store that sells items for various hobbies. Most have supplies for sewing, painting, sculpting, building models of various types, and items that I don't have a clue why people would want them.

Most of these items are also available on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
Personally, I think that for general modeling, cutting circles by hand (with a knife or scissors) is plenty sufficient. The circle cutter comes in handy when doing things like tanks, other multi-wheeled vehicles, rocket formers, etc., i.e. when you have a *lot* of circles to cut. But even then it's just a shortcut to get clean circles quickly. Don't consider yourself less of a modeler because you don't have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell_zantoz View Post
Well this video will give you a basic idea of how to cut and fold paper card models. Though this only basic square shapes, as you have time to practice, you can go on to cutting and scoring complex curves and shapes.

‪Paper Modeling Tutorials: Cutting & Scoring‬‏ - YouTube

It helped me a lot when i was starting. Feel free to google for more tutorials. And remember, practice and patience is the key.
thank u all u have been of great help to me
Old 07-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Ultra,
While all those fancy tools help, truth is that you can easily build models without them
What you really need are good scissors, a hobby knife (razor blade will do too), metal ruler, tweezers and something that can be used as a cutting surface - before I found cutting matts I used thick cardboard.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
Ultra,
While all those fancy tools help, truth is that you can easily build models without them
What you really need are good scissors, a hobby knife (razor blade will do too), metal ruler, tweezers and something that can be used as a cutting surface - before I found cutting matts I used thick cardboard.
thnx

believe it or not i use my own desk as a cutting mat and i just made a hobby knife myself it was quite easy thnx for the advice
Google Adsense