PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?

Hi folks

until today I was unaware of paper models. Looking throught these forums I am amazed at what can be done - and it set me thinking. In a few months time I will begin to build an RC model of the 1935 Art Deco ferry The Kalakala. I want to model the superstructure in aluminium - and if it was an angular structure I would feel a lot more confident - but it isn't as you can see from the attached images and their curves. I think it would help me greatly to take a leaf from your book and use paper first to iron out some problems. Any advice or suggestions would be oh so greatly appreciated - so please don't be shy.

There is a lot of history attached to this vessel but I wanted to keep this first post concise.

Regards Norseman
Attached Thumbnails
Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-dongary-3.jpg   Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-dongary-1-fwdview.jpg   Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-etaylor-72564-threequarter_correcteda.jpg   Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-seattlepi-mohai-865136188-bow.jpg   Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-seattlepi-mohai-8651361814-bow-cu.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
WOW that looks like some kind of UFO, art deco gone mad....I love it!....Rich
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM

I actually printed my props out n glued them to the stock(soda can)then cut out very slowly with good grade smooth blade snipes, fine finnished with razor knife.tedious but do-able..Tim
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 PM

P.s welcome aboard!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Welcome, that is one cool looking ship!
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 AM

Yep - a cool looking ship - but also a bit dumb sometimes. Notice the officer stood by the bow doors (previous post) - he's there because the bridge can't actually see the dock when it gets close - oops.

I'll run up a proper history post later - lot of firsts on this ferry.

The three photos attached here are 1,(a little time capsule) just the ferry passengers (this guy really caught the moment) 2, similar subject, and 3, sadly the same area of the ferry now.

Regards Norseman
Attached Thumbnails
Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-seattlepi-mohai-86513625-commuters-oct171951.jpg   Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-seattlepi-mohai-86513627-commuters-oct171951.jpg   Using Paper to Prep for Alminium?-i-img_0570passenger-deck-braces-.jpg  

Tags
kalakala