PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question Any tips on car building in paper?

I'm looking foward to making a paper Lamborghini murciélago Lp640. The probelm i do find is making the cockpit, and some of the curves on the hood. Any ideas, or should i skip to making my next project. (Su-47 Berkut)

Nexstar
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
More experienced modellers than I can provide you with better answers, but one technique I have learned of will help with curved panels.

Rolling the part gently around a wooden rod, say knitting needle diameter, or chopstick or meat skewer will help form a part into the required curve.
It is also useful to (where able) roll the panel with the grain of the paper, as this will achieve a smoother curve, without risking the ink finish breaking up or cracking.
Cracking is also why sealing the paper parts sheet before you cut the parts is a very useful idea. Many folk use Krylon for this, or a similar product, and allow for adequate drying time thereafter.

Folding straight lines is best achieved by first lightly scoring the fold line and then folding it using a straight edge, such as a metal ruler. Obviously,one employs a resilient yet solid surface to fold the part on.

Many more useful techniques can be found in our forum's "Tips and Tricks" Section, and there are many useful advisory articles in the Articles Section.

These are more than well worth your time to read and learn from.

I hope the info here helps you, and wish you every success.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello Nexstar,

I have no idea how long you are working with paper or cardboard? And how many models are going through or made by your hands? Paper is a wonderful material when you work with it together.
I'm an old guy with more than 50 years of experience in cardmodeling.
If you like, take one advice of me, start with little objects.

This are my 2 cents - with lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
What he said. Actually one of the first models I did was a Lambo. A detailed model that ended up in the bin. I found a number of easier free models. As I got more used to the lines of the car and how to achieve them, I went back and re-did the first one, although I didn't do the interior.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Uyraell is right, the wooden rod is part of my limited set of tools, but anything with a radius will help to shape curves. the size of the radius depends on the type of curve you want to achieve. Light scoring for straight lines is the second technique I use. I would add that I score on the verso for exposed body parts. This produce a lighter edge, but it mostly prevent the finish from cracking (unless it is a well over 90 degrees angle). I am not that precautious with tabs though. That is how all my fifties cars are built.

Cami
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfried View Post
Hello Nexstar,

I have no idea how long you are working with paper or cardboard? And how many models are going through or made by your hands? Paper is a wonderful material when you work with it together.
I'm an old guy with more than 50 years of experience in cardmodeling.

Sorry i didn't actually put more information into this. I had worked on making models 3 years, this year i'm not doing as much as i use too. Unfortunately i had to trash them all since we had to move. I've made alot of Fighter jets back then, and then i moved on to Gun modeling. Now i started getting interested in astronomy.

Heres all i remember that i've made: A Su-37, Su-27, Su-47, F-16, F-22, F-35, F-18, F-15 and a Su-35.

Glock 17, Ak-47, Intervention, P90, Mini uzi, P99.

Earth, venus, mars, jupiter, saturn, uranus, neptune, Sightron Binoculars, Hubble space telescope.

Pretty much all i made, i just need to improve on interior making and some functional parts.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Ah, then pretty much ignore what I was saying. Which Lambo model are you doing? It may have been the one I did.

Along with the rods mentioned above (but mine are plastic), I have a small marble and a mouse pad. I use this to give a little curvature. place the piece face down on the mousepad and gently, but firmly you can roll the piece into a more domed shape.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
roll with a woooden rod and do it very cafully not to bend it out of shape. than do the wheels first put it around the hup of the tire and make shore it fits right into place.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Lamborghini murciélago, thanks for the tips. I'm gonna start on it soon as i get more supplies.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Thanks for the great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Along with the rods mentioned above (but mine are plastic), I have a small marble and a mouse pad. I use this to give a little curvature. place the piece face down on the mousepad and gently, but firmly you can roll the piece into a more domed shape.
You reinvented the English Wheel and applied the idea it to paper modeling! Thanks for the great idea.

You can get substitute for mousepad at artist supply store, they stock rubber sheets and blocks for print making which have a flexy surface, and the infamous HarborFreightTools stocks or used to stock large rubber blocks (like a giant eraser) for cleaning sanding disks, which make a good backing for forming paper or soft metal sheets.

(Another great tool for forming paper is a "dapping set". Harbor Freight Tools sells one, which is a good buy when it is on sale. Or if you see one at a flea market for under $20 grab it. They can be used for rolling tubes, bending paper or molding domes. You could your own dapping tools set with hardwood dowels that have their ends turned round by a friend with a wood lathe, or by chucking the dowels in a power drill and shaping the ends with a file and sandpaper. )
Google Adsense