PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Piper Cub Problems

I find myself in need of help on the Piper Cub which I got from Fiddlersgreen. I realize it’s not a kit for here but thought I might get some help. Man I fell stupid. I’m as green as grass to the card models. I did a few plastic years earlier on but card is different. I picked the Piper Cub because I thought it would be the easiest one to start with. Maybe wrong. I stated with the wing. Got it cut out alright but it how it goes together. There is a slit in the wing on one side. It reads glue tab first. Trim as needed. Glue to what?
One the trailing edge it read score, fold & glue. Glue to other trailing edge? And then there are the tabs at the fuselage. No clue where they go. So as you can see I’m a real noob and a 1000% one at theat. I had no idea it was going to be this hard. I hope I didn’t get into something that’s over my head. Thanks for any help any one can offer. OMG!!!
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
On the trailing edge, you will score it and the glue it to the other trailing edge. This will allow you to start to shape the wing. I'm not sure what tabs you are talking about on the fuse since its been a long time since I built that model but tabs are used to glue the model together. There is a video on YouTube. Maybe that will help.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.15 MB
I believe their is a video showing how to build the cub in the file that the model comes in.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
I tried to view the video but didn't have the viewer for it. I guess I'll have to hunt it down. That will be a life saver. I glued the trailing edge the way you said so I did that at least right. I'm real glad I joined this site. Thanks guys for the help. You know there will be more questions. Hope you don't mind. wc
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM

it works with windows media player.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Eternal Member

The video is a m4v but I found the Youtube of it.The problem is that this is the very small version and I thought doing the large version would be easier. Yea right. Thank you anyway. wc
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Well, I hope everything works out. I also hope that you will show pictures of your build.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Are you building the newer big sized piper cub, or the older small one? The newer version has the option to build it with clear windows and a cockpit. The old one does not. On the old one (maybe the new one), the fuselage has tabs that fold over and form the top of the fuselage under the wings. Once the wings are formed, you just glue them on top of the fuselage and use the windscreen to blend to two together on the front.

The newer one has a similar style I believe. I can't say for sure, as I franken-monstered mine with clear windows and a scratch built wing/fuselage joint.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Wad Cutter, any paper model belongs here, so go ahead and ask for help!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Eternal Member

The Piper Cub is the Updated large version with cockpit. Right off it looks like I will be reprinting the wing and starting over. I spent most of today reviewing the video which is of no help and looking at basic tutorials. This is not child's play or maybe I'm bone stupid. This as all the aspects of being a great hobby. When I look at the wings ends that meet with the fuselage I just can't see in my minds eye how it come together. And I thought this was going to be simple. But I guess it wouldn't fun if it were easy. Thanks again. wc
Google Adsense