PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Rolling Paper for Wing Shaping

Some where I saw a photo ot a video on placing a roll in the leading edge of the wing. Now when I need it of course I can't find it. Something so simple. Can any one throw me a bone? Thank you. wc
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Catch !

Old 05-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Depending on the size of that bone, it could actually be used to shape a wing airfoil very nicely!!

HINT: Use a mouse pad with the bone!!

SFX
Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Thanks guys.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Actually, Waddy, I did not get this, until I finally looked through the "Tips & Tricks" section and found that Zakopius contribution was a new kind of "bone folder". Remember this one? Sorry that I can't remember the video you're looking for. I don't suppose this might be something for you? - L.

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 05-26-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Eternal Member

Leading Edge Wing Curve

No Leif, that's not the one but that's a great idea. I made a note of that and tucked it away in my "Tip & Tricks" folder. One problem I have is as I am going through the forums I see a great idea someone came up with but because it wasn't what I was looking for I pass it and went on. Then when I need that idea, I can't find it. To get around this now I copy and past the idea to a Word Doc and save it to that folder. It has the idea, the person and a link to that page which is where your idea of rolling paper is now.
Here's where I am now. I am forming a wing. I need to curl the leading edge. The rolling edge of the wing which gives the wing it's shape. I saw someone do this once and now of course I can't find it. I forgot what he/she used but it was a simple idea. Today I started gluing in the wing spares. Maybe gluing the top part of the wing over onto the spare will get that shape I need. I guess I need to make every mistake at least once, remember that and goon. Wish I know where I saw that person using that what ever it was to curl the wing right. Thanks Leif for your kind input. waddy
Old 05-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Waddy, this is how I do it.

I fold the wings with the help of two slats from a couple of dismantled french windows. A lot of wood to be gathered there, useful for many things. In this case they are rather good, since the edges are well rounded already. Before this I wet the fold line very sparingly, and let it dry for a little while.

The idea here is to use the slat at the back as a kind of spatula, forcing the paper to fold evenly around the rounded edge of the slat in front. The sparse watering makes the paper bend very, very easily. So, there is actually not much of force involved at all, more a kind of nudging it into proper shape.

I'm sure you can think up some suitable toolish thing which you have lying around your place without having thought much about it until now.

Slats are good, because they keep a straight rounded edge, and provide a good handhold. Many use wire or rods like this one:

This is a steel rod, and very useful for what I'm doing here, getting a curve into a largish sheet of paper, rolling it against a mouse mat. However, the diameter is not small enough for this profile. For another profile, the steel rod in front, and steel ruler or other slat-shaped thing from the back might have been ideal. But then, again, for smaller scales, chances are that the slats would be the best choice.

Leif
Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Eternal Member

Hi Leif, I might have to try your idea next as I’m about half way through another one of mine as you can see which I’m starting to have some bad thoughts about. I just bought 4 different size wooden dowels and my bet right now is I’ll be trying your idea next. I just have a bad feeling about mine. Thank you Leif, That was what I was looking for. Thank you very much. waddy
Attached Thumbnails
Rolling Paper for Wing Shaping-piper-wind-shield-009.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Eternal Member

I was right. Wing spars didn't work.