PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Bristol Board??

I know what it is but have never seen it. I have a polish kit that calls for Bristol Board and double Bristol board. Is this absolutely necessary or can I substitute cardstock? Also not sure to now how thick the stuff should be.

Thanks for any help.
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2013, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
Isn't "Bristol Board" twice the thickness of cardstock or thicker. I seem to remember that was what we did ink drawings on in art school. I think ours was almost as thick as matte board.
Clif
Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Depending on the manufacture of the board, I 've seen it as much as 2.5mm thick..

What part of the model is the Bristol board supposed to be representing? Something that carries lots of weight or stress? Then it might be necessary.

SFX
Old 05-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
substituting cardstock would be okay...just laminate your card to the recommended thickness.

Bristol is sometimes known as "showcard" or "project board".
Generally available in 20"x30" sheets and comes in a variety of colours.
Its that cheap cardboard that the kids get from the corner shop for their school presentations.

I sometimes used it to create card for formers.
I laminated 3 layers to create the internal structure for my 1/16 Centurion Tank.

It varies in thickness, but is usually about .4mm thickness.
65lb cardstock comes in at about .23mm

Some Bristol Boards have an extra smooth, almost glossy surface.
I have had issues with it delaminating when glued with contact cement.
Follow the proper gluing steps for contact cement and it should be okay
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
What part of the model is the Bristol board supposed to be representing? Something that carries lots of weight or stress? Then it might be necessary.

SFX
Thanks for the reply.

The model calls for .5mm and 1mm Bristol Board, it is indicated on the sheets by *=.5mm and **=1mm. It's all over the place, cockpit interior, fuse, wings, etc. You cut out the paper part and glue it to the Bristol Board. (I'm sure you know all this, but this is new to me.)
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post

Bristol is sometimes known as "showcard" or "project board".
Generally available in 20"x30" sheets and comes in a variety of colours.
Its that cheap cardboard that the kids get from the corner shop for their school presentations.

[/I]
Thanks Dave, A google search for Project board pulls those tri-fold illustration boards. A search for Showcard turns up something else. I must not have the right item because it doesn't seem to come in 20x30 sheets. Can you possible post a url that would have exactly what you are referring to?

Sorry I am a little dense on this.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
This is what I use when bristol board is called for. I find it at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick, AC Moore, etc.

Also, I have seen bristol called out separately from .5 mm and 1 mm card in laminating callouts. So make sure of your actual needed thicknesses beforehand.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Bristol Board??-13307-2005-3ww-l.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Greg -

I keep some of that Strathmore Bristol on hand, too. It's listed at 270gsm and I make it out to be around .3mm thick, which puts it in between "standard" modeling paper (~.19 -.23mm) and 0.5mm card.

My assumption has been that when Polish kits call for "Bristol," they mean something thicker than the paper the kit is printed on (or the "standard" .19-.23mm stuff we usually print 1/72 to 1/33 kits on), thus around .3mm, which is why it is called out separately from the .5mm (usually *) and 1mm (**).

Of course, to complicate the situation, Wausau and Office Max and other paper purveyors all put out stuff in the .2mm range with the name "Bristol" or "Exact Bristol" and, as Dave and Francis Marion have pointed out, a lot of other material is also called "Bristol."

Pending clarification from those of you who know more than I, my advice would be to use hard smooth card stock that is around .3mm whenever the kit calls for "Bristol." And if the part is to be curved beware of stuff that delaminates, as Dave has warned.

What do you and the others think?

Don
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I use the Strathmore 300 Series Bristol and have measured it to be around .3 mm thick also. The cover on the pad states 100 lb/260 gsm. There is also a 400 and 500 series but I have been unable to find the thickness and don't have any to measure.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Doug.

My "270gsm" was a typo.

Interesting how these "simple" questions lead to enjoyable discussions, ideas to exchange, and new stuff to learn.

Don
Google Adsense