PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 12-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweiler View Post
Thank you for the advice and help! So now I am wondering:

-Scoring: I could use a swiss army knife that isn't too sharp. Or use the plastic tip of a mechanical pencil. Am I supposed to drag it along the design-side or the blank-side of the page? Is it best to score every fold, or just the glue tabs?

-Paper: I used the last piece of cardboard to print out the T3 model and need to buy more, so I'm wondering what quality of paper is best for this type of work? I'm not planning on making any vehicles or anything, just small creatures or characters. White paper, but some thickness? Also is wood glue okay or should I get something else?

-Vermin_King: I don't quite understand your first question, but I found it worked better if I cut roughly each piece out with scissors. Then did the fine work with a hobby knife. I need to get something better to cut on though, I was trying to use cardboard and it was not great.

-I actually did see that R2 before, but it was after I'd cut most of the pieces out of the T3 pattern. I might put it aside and try an easier one first.
1. -Scoring: I use the design side and score every fold.
2. -Paper: I usually use 72 Lb cardstock but sometimes use 32 Lb cardstock for tiny models.
3. -Cutting Surface: I use a cheap plastic kitchen cutting mat.
Many of the modelers on this site use a cutting mat from a Hobby Shop, see:Cutting Mats
Old 12-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Quote:
Am I supposed to drag it along the design-side or the blank-side of the page?
Depends on which way you're folding. If you're folding the design sides away from each other, some call that a "mountain fold" and you'll score the design side. If the design sides are folding towards each other, some call that a "valley fold" and you score the blank side.

Quote:
what quality of paper is best for this type of work? White paper, but some thickness?
Different models require different papers, but in general I think most people use 110 lb card stock.

I ordered Hammermill 80 lb Cover Stock (216 gsm) almost by accident, but ended up loving using it. Very bright white, very smooth, cuts cleanly, prints neatly.

Quote:
Also is wood glue okay or should I get something else?
I started with white glue, but now I use Aleene's Tacky Glue. White glue you have to hold longer and risk your parts slipping. Aleene's holds harder and dries faster.

Quote:
I need to get something better to cut on though, I was trying to use cardboard and it was not great.
Good self-sealing hobby mats are out there, but as mentioned above a cheap kitchen cutting mat will do the job.

Tags
beginner, star wars, trouble