PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.65 MB
What glue

Hi fellas, I know this is probably a beginners question but here it goes. I am working on my first paper model, I am using a glue stick, but as I build it falls apart and does not dry fast enough. What type of glue do you guys use?
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
What sort of "Glue do you use"
Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
There are so many different types of glue to use on paper models. Everyone has their personal favorite. I mostly use regular old white PVA glue such as Elmers or Aleens. Nothing fancy. The glue stick that you are using would probably be ok to laminate pieces to heavier board but other than that I would stay away from it. Read around the other threads here, many of them discuss glue and glue issues. I don't think there are any right or wrong choices. Keep it simple and have fun.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I echo KCStephens, I also use Elmers extensively for paper. As you progress you will also learn to use Super glue for some items. Remember, paper is a forgiving media. Messed it up,... Sit back, take a deep breath and start over. By the way, what model are you trying to build? And what area is giving you problems?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I took a tip from the guys here
and went out looking for Aleens Tacky Glue

I found it in WalMart.
Michaels also carries it.

Its ridiculously cheap!
And so easy to use.
Easy clean up, water soluble.
Tacks up fast
Dries clear.
Tough when dry.

I love it.

before that I used (and still do use) Contact Cement
which is fabulous for quick bonds!
...but no room for error.

and 3M spray 77 for laminating
and adhering paper sheets to cardboard
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Js23,

Because it is readily available the preferred glue for most paper modelers is Aleene’s Tacky Glue in the bronze tube. You can purchase it from just about any craft store, and you can find a sample pack of 5 tubes at Wal-Mart for around $4.

Elmer’s works but it takes forever to set up so it is not on my list of preferred glues. This brings up how much glue to use the rule is less is best. Apply as little as possible use a toothpick to apply small amounts. When you are using the right amount of glue Aleene’s will set up in just a few seconds. I use a syringe that I purchased at my local hobby shop for $1 for applying glue. The big down side of using a syringe is that you are always unclogging the needle with a length of wire and if you have any air bubbles in the tube the glue will come out in spurts.
You will also need some thick CA glue to glue plastic or wire to paper the best source for the thick CA is your local hobby shop.

Jim Nunn
Old 09-12-2009, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Elmer's (Polyvinyl Acetate) - I find that off-brand PVA glues don't hold as well as Elmer's Brand. Best to use for medium and large applications. Good for all uses.

Tacky glue (Polyvinyl Acetate) - This has always been a bit more hit-or-miss for me. I guess you can try it. It probably thins a bit better than Elmer's, so you can get better application, but I'm not entirely sure.

Super glue (Cyanoarcrylate) - Best for small applications, due to very thin nature and quick, strong dry time. Good for very small tab-gluing.

Stick Glue (Polyvinylpyrrolidone) - Best for reinforcement applications. Does not hold together well under tension, but is good for reinforcing onto stronger card.

Rubber Cement - Not good at all. Prone to removal under tension.

Hot Glue (Ethyl-vinyl Acetate) - Only for the largest, heaviest projects. Expect a strong, but visible seam, capable of damaging inks.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.65 MB
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Also:
Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue in the purple bottle or with the purple label.

Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue in the silver bottle.

Tombo Mono Aqua Liquid Glue in a clear bottle with blue tops. It has a broad tip on one end and a pen tip on the other.

Some kind of super glue (referred to as CA glue a lot).
Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Also:
Tombo Mono Aqua Liquid Glue in a clear bottle with blue tops. It has a broad tip on one end and a pen tip on the other.
I just picked up a bottle of this stuff. I've been using it here and there. So far it's been working out ok. I really do like the bottle design and the two different applicator tips.
Google Adsense