PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
HeadBand Sight Booster Magnifier

Right now I'm using the SE-MH1047L Flip-in head magnifier which has a 10.5X max magnifier with lights. I have been using it for some time but I was wondering if any of you have or know of something a little stronger or better in general. I know you guys like me are always on the look out for something better. My eye sight is good so I know it's not me going blind but a few times the parts are getting smaller. With out breaking the bank does any have something better they use and can offer. Thank you all for any and all help. wc
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Wad Cutter:
10X Magnification is better than any I have seen, The next step will be doctors and surgeons head pieces for big bucks. Other idea is to start printing on to 11x17 cardstock and building in a larger scale. Also does brighter lights help?
Good luck,
Miles
Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 917.06 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
Right now I'm using the SE-MH1047L Flip-in head magnifier which has a 10.5X max magnifier with lights. I have been using it for some time but I was wondering if any of you have or know of something a little stronger or better in general. I know you guys like me are always on the look out for something better. My eye sight is good so I know it's not me going blind but a few times the parts are getting smaller. With out breaking the bank does any have something better they use and can offer. Thank you all for any and all help. wc
I have the same strength magnifier in-head set and a catarct replacement in one eye, so far. The next strongest set was 20X. Looked like a pair of jewelers' loupe on spectacle frames! Too strong for me! Hope you find what you're after, mate.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Check out Widget Supply. They have some wearable magnifiers with flip down lenses to vary the magnification in the Hobby Tool section and some jeweler's loupes in the Jewelry Tool section.

Both the wearable magnifiers and the loupes are available with or without lighting.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
I think I found just what I was looking for. I can still use the one's I have now that goes up to 10X but for those times when something else is needed I found one and it went up to 25X and had Leds. I will talk it over with my Banker and see when this might be possible. Very cheap too. That's the part I'm worried about. I know asking you guys was the correct thing to do. Thank you very much. Great to know help is always close. wc
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
I use a magnifier on a stand (probably about 3 x ) when I cut with a craft knife, it works well with glasses, and gives me less of a head ache when I look up across the room.
See if there is a sewing shop in your area, it might have a variety of magnifiers that are not too expensive. You could give one to your Banker as a present to keep in her sewing box, and then you could borrow it.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Bought one of the Harbor Freight ones. It has a box of lenses that have different magnification power.

It has a Led light and a place holder for two sets of lense that allows you to adjust the magnification as needed using one lense in front of the other if you want.

Cost was $12 in 2009.

Mike
Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Eternal Member

mbauer and idea what the magnification of the lens are? Also do you have a link to the page where you bought it? I want to compare it to what I have. Thank you. wc
Old 09-18-2014, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Magnifier Head Strap With Lights

3x Clip-On Magnifiers

16.5X Jeweler's Clip-On Eye Loupe

Get in quick WC, they're all listed at sale price right now.

Johnny.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Those clip on eye loopy things work good when putting together Metal Earth and Metal Works models. They have very small tabs that need to be manipulated to attach the pieces together so the varying magnification provided by the eye loopy really helps. They should be helpful when confronted with very small parts made of any material.

You need to supply some light, but a couple of lamps with 60W equivalent daylight LED bulbs work great. One shining in from either side minimizes the shadows.
Google Adsense