PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
I built the AXM Soyuz in 1/400. It is still possible at that scale. Really.

And as for building the Soyuz: it might be more logical than you figured? As far as I know the seams at my Soyuz orbital module don't line up. In AXM's manual it all is very clearly shown. Just follow the black lines over the parts as a guide to where the parts should align. (see pic 3)
Attached Thumbnails
AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-cimg9613.jpg   AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-cimg9615.jpg   AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-axm-soyuz-orbmod.jpg  
Old 04-25-2015, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
Are you saying as the rings lay on the paper before they are cut out is the way they go together? So if I line up all the seems then that's the way they line up?
Yes, as you look at the sheet from top to bottom the rings are in order; taking into account the dogleg left for the body center section.

My seams are lining up pretty well. So I think if you follow the stack and line the seams up it should work out for you. My mistake I think was that the center section wound up being a fraction too big, I don't think I had enough overlap when I glue it up. the two forward and aft rings line up with each other pretty well, and the lines (act much like witness marks) and the seams are all more-or-less in agreement.

The trim piece (with the flag) has yet to be added, but there is a section of a circle that corresponds with the camera mounting location, it too is right in line with the rest of the circle on the next ring down.

1:400!?!?!? My eyes aren't that good anymore dude. Kudos for your build, I saw a 400 scale Saturn V that was in process of staging, was that your as well? Excellent work, but I think the kiddo's cat would have too much fun with parts that small, I've got to hide the orbital module I have so far as it is...
Old 04-25-2015, 06:03 PM

Alright, the orbital module for the most part is complete with the exception of the docking collar, probe and cone. It looks pretty good, considering. I'm going to build this again eventually taking the lessons learned from this attempt (still going to get the plotter at work, it's just a matter of time).

Seams line up, which pretty much keeps everything cool.
Attached Thumbnails
AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-20150425_190951.jpg   AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-20150425_191026.jpg  
Old 04-26-2015, 12:42 AM

Hi Phantom Cruiser, as far as I can recall, the staging Saturn V - which indeed was mine, was recalculated by Yogi to measure 1/565. This was indeed before my reading glasses which I have to use now since two years. The Soyuz was part of my 1/400 ISS with shuttle Endeavour and ESA cargo vessel. (link to pictures of finished model) I still build things this size, now and then.

When building models I always work quite intuitive, using the manual as a guidance but also collecting lots of pictures of the real thing for reference. And I never can leave the model to be just that, I always have to tinker with it. Using different types of paper, adding new details, make a model able to be shown in different stages, etc.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Gentlemen, thank you very much. It was my blindness about the lines matching up that I just couldn't see. I took a small break from the Soyuz and finished Dave's NASA/JPL Astronaut Van. My buddy at NASA/JPL really loved it and when he can get free he and I will sit down and see what he needs to get into crazy hobby. So crazy my wonderful wife just bought me a brand new Laser printer. No idea what I did she likes so much she thought I should upgrade. My old HP printer went up stairs to her art studio. I want to thank you guys for all the help and suggestions and make a Soyuz that small is so way beyond nuts it must be great. No idea how your able to do this. Thank you guys and don't go anywhere. You know there will be more questions. Thanks again. wc
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Not a problem! Glad to have been of some assistance. If you want, I'll keep putting pictures of the build here in this thread,
Old 04-28-2015, 02:09 AM

Hi Wad Cutter, just keep in mind laser printers work different from ink jets. While ink jets spray ink into the top fibres of the paper, a laser printer makes a thin layer of toner on top of the paper which can flake when you fold and bend the paper. There are techniques to keep this down to a minimum but it is tricky. Look up discussion threads on the matter at this forum for more information. I wrote this on my mobile so it's not as elaborated as I wish. Sorry for that.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Yes Phantom keep the photos coming. Thank you very much. wc
Old 04-30-2015, 06:47 AM

I had to take a couple days off to clean the house. Still not finished, but finished enough.

Since I'm at a stopping point with the orbital module I'm moving on with the service and reentry sections, these are much easier and I took the time to color the edges a bit. If I can go long enough without coffee I might try edging the orbital module after the fact, we'll see.

Here we have the three pieces lined up, just as they'd be assembled.

Next shows them stacked and glued, the seams all line up nicely. If you zoom in you can see that I've cut a slot to receive the solar array. In hindsight I think I did this a step or two early. It still worked out, but made the skirt a bit problematic. If I do another build, I'll use a new blade and cut the slots after the skirt is on. Anyhow, you can see the slot is just wide enough to receive the solar panel. If you cut out the entire section it'd be wobbly.

Now we've got the skirt on, and the solar array is dry fit into place. Once secured, the bottom piece will be glued on. The alignment is important as the KURS antenna (when viewed from this angle) will be down and left. You should be able to make out the little square that marks its position. The attitude control engines line up with the 4 "cardinal" points. It's represented pretty well in Alphonso's build instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-20150427_180739.jpg   AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-20150427_190304.jpg   AMX Soyuz Rings Lining Up.-20150430_080317.jpg  
Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you Phantom, very clear and clean photos. I try to remember to color the edges. Thank you for your help. wc
Google Adsense