PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 08-31-2015, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sealing card stock with laser engraved details

Hello all,

I have a question.
I just received a Dom Bugami kit of the IJN Nagato in 1:200 scale. Awesome artwork.
I purchased the additional detail items, the laser etched card stock parts. It is cut on the shiney poster board stock, .012" thick.

It is not printed. These parts will go on my resin parts I have. The more detail the better.
My question is what is a good sealer so I can paint over the paper card stock parts using acrylics. I want to use Tamiya paints.

The detail is so awesome that I am afraid that any heavy build up will fill in the laser etchings. You have to see the detail it is so fine.

I am trying to avoid any swelling of the card stock from the sealer. Lacquer based acrylic would seem to work but before I try anything I need some expert advice. These parts come from Poland so replacements take long to get to me if something goes wrong.

I spoke to Krylon and they said to use 1305. I have heard that Testors dull coat would work also.

Any help I GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Bob
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Pumpjet:
What ever you use first try it on a piece of the card stock to make sure it will seal and not be too thick note different cardstocks act differently to sealers. some people have an air brush and others just brushes try on scrap first and let dry over 24+ hours before the acrylic paint
Good luck,
Miles
Old 08-31-2015, 06:52 PM

Sealer selection

Hi Miles

Thanks for the reply. I will test on a corner of the card stock and check for swelling. The big question is which Krylon sealer is most effective for preventing any swelling with no loss of detail.
I must say that the guys in Poland have this laser etching process down to a science. It is mind boggling what they can do. I will post a pic later using my USB microscope to help understand why retaining detail is so important. And therefor I can't have any swelling of the card stock used in the engraving process.

Bob
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
If you are going to paint the parts, using regular CA glue will do the job. It will not only seal it, but stiffen the part as well.

Again, test first to see if it is the effect you need.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 PM

Photos of laser engraved parts

Ok---
The image with the penny is deck tread pattern. Not cut through the paper.

The type 21 radar you can see through all the slots.

The Grating is cut through and you can see through the slots in the circle.

This is why I am trying to find something to seal this with that will be thin enough to not fill in the openings and will not cause any kind of swelling.

Thanks in advance

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Sealing card stock with laser engraved details-type-21-radar.jpg   Sealing card stock with laser engraved details-grating.jpg   Sealing card stock with laser engraved details-deck-flooring.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
I use water thin insta-cure ca by bsi extensively. I soak every part in the glue and after drying (matter of seconds) cut, sand and paint as needed. a couple of points to keep in mind. if you are building from a pre-printed kit (laser or ink) the colors will most likely run. a trick I use is to wet the paper/card from the reverse
(non-printed) side of the parts and not touch the printed side till it's fully sealed. colors will generally darken as well. another issue you may face is the card stock itself. if as you say it's shinny poster board material then it may not be porous enough for the ca to soak through. to avoid the liquid from clogging up tiny openings try using some kind capillary applicator. I use my own diy sewing needle with the eye ground down to a fork. I suggest not to apply any ca directly from the bottle to avoid flooding. please experiment first on similar scrap material before applying this technique to your laser cut detail set. my models are scratch built so if I ruin a part I can always make another!

hope this helps

amit
Old 09-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Sealing poster card paper

Thanks Amit.

I will be doing some tests tomorrow to see if the paper will swell using some thinned Krylon and thinned Tamiya clear acrylic paint.. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one for sure

Bob