PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-10-2016, 04:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.65 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanX View Post
Can anyone weigh in, I build in fits and spurts as my limited time allows. Do Faber-Castel Pitt pens dry out quickly and go dead if not used regularly?
I keep mine capped tight in a ziplock bag and haven't had any drying out issues
Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
looks like I am old school - using hairy sticks and paints
Old 07-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.78 MB
I use and recommend Prismacolor Premier colored pencils. They come in a wide variety of colors, most with several shades for each color, and they don't bleed into the paper like markers.

The Premier line pencils have a softer consistency than the Prismacolor Verithin pencils, and spread well.

It's easier to color the paper's edges before glueing -- just in case.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Watercolors. Below are some photographs of my paints and some results. The ability to mix color is the main reason I use watercolors. Vermin King was right when he said to paint with the handle of the brush on the unpainted side of the part. If both sides are printed, be careful and keep some cotton swabs on hand for a quick swipe. A moist (not wet) cotton swab will pick up more paint than a dry one.

Just recently, I picked up a set of watercolors that range from white to black, with gray tones in between. See the photo. As SCEtoAUX says, grays are great for hiding the white edge without actually matching the surrounding color. Grays are good when working with metal colors.

The last photographs show my latest project, a vintage 19 century country lodge. The entire building was reinforced with mat board, and the edges needed to be colored. Note the blue and black watercolors on the edges of the various roofs. Watercolors are a quick and inexpensive solution to the white-edge problem. Just don't handle the project with damp hands, and why would you?

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Colouring edges?-img_3807.jpg   Colouring edges?-img_3805.jpg   Colouring edges?-img_3770.jpg   Colouring edges?-img_3800.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven Blaack View Post
Personally, I use watercolour paints (to match the colour of the parts as close as possible) and a "dry" brush to lightly paint the edges.
I agree, after using most other methods. I would add, however, that one uses opaque rather than transparent watercolors.
Google Adsense
Old 07-21-2016, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
sharpies are my favorite, but alas sharpie still does not make a range of grey markers. Grey is my most used marker that I like for coloring edges. For that I use the

Tombow Dual Brush Pen Art Markers, Grayscale

they come in a 6-pack or 10 pack of varying degrees of grey.

And coloring the edges is a must. Not doing it is the equivalent of making a black suit with white thread.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

In my earlier comments concerning watercolors, I said to paint with the handle of the brush on the unpainted side of the part. I meant to say the unprinted side of the part.

And, RConnolly recommended the use of opaque watercolors rather than the transparent variety. This opaque variety is known as Gouache...roughly rhymes with squash. It usually comes in collapsible metal tubes as seen below. While more expensive, it offers heavier coverage than the more common type of watercolor, and is mixable.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Colouring edges?-img_4034.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
As a long stand noob to the art of paper modeling , my(coach, Willygoat)put me onto Prismacolor Water Color Pencils. I also bought several pens too. The water color penciles are even better if after you need to increase the color by applying a small amount of water. I bought the 64 pencils box and there is just about every color you will need. Just my two cents worth. wc
Old 07-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
As a long stand noob to the art of paper modeling , my(coach, Willygoat)put me onto Prismacolor Water Color Pencils. I also bought several pens too. The water color penciles are even better if after you need to increase the color by applying a small amount of water. I bought the 64 pencils box and there is just about every color you will need. Just my two cents worth. wc
Where did you buy your pencils from, the most I can find for watercolor sets is 36.

Rusty
Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Sorry about that.

Your correct, it is 36. No idea where 64 came from. You can mix colors also to get the right color. Sorry about that. No idea where that came from. They have several don't combo sets as well.
Watercolor Pencil Sets | Prismacolor Premier Watercolor Colored Pencils
Google Adsense