PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 02-26-2017, 12:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beginner question

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum and I have a general question. I have been interested in gothic architecture for some time now and recently came across some paper models of various gothic cathedrals. I have never built a paper model before but would like to try.

We are moving into a new house soon and my wife seems to think that we would not have enough room for me to build one of these. So my question to other is how much space do you actually need to work on a model? I know this is pretty vague, but just trying to get an idea of if I would have enough room to sit a desk off to the side somewhere to work on one of these.
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2017, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Matthew, welcome to the forums.

You don't need much space to work on and build a model. But for displaying your finished architecture model, you will need some space. Dependant on the dimensions of the base and the height.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yes, a small desk off to one side should work. One with a desk top of at least 18 inches (≈457 mm) by 24 inches (≈610 mm). Some people go even smaller and use a lap desk.

Make sure you have plenty of light. Shadows can make cutting the parts difficult at times.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear MeatballMarinara:
Some people have Gone to the second hand store and gotten a older hard sided brief case. to hold the modeling tools then used the case as a lap desk.
Once the model is made see if the local library or church would like to display it.
There are a couple of threads on Tool kits and some on what does ones work space look like. There are some free church one page models that make a good learning experience before starting a big project.
Good luck and enjoy,
Miles
Old 02-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
You don't need a great deal of space to build. I built my first model--which ended up being about 24" long--on a large book placed on my lap. But consider you'll also need some nearby space to place your tools and completed sub-assemblies. I used a coffee table as I sat in the family room.

SCEtoAUX's comment about the lighting is spot on. The downside of using a temporary location is that you usually don't have enough light.

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
My excuse is that I am interested in flying models and model trains.
Do you know anyone who has built a storage shed? Whatever size they build, they fill and need more. Whatever space you have for display, you will want more, or you rotate the things you display and store the others. I have found that grocery stores have nice plastic boxes that can store things nicely. But they need to be cleaned out first.

To build your first model, I suggest you try one that is not the top of your desire. There are some less expensive models available, but the instructions my be in a different language. There are free downloads available to help get your hands wet. Wordsworth in England offers models related to trains, but nothing Gothic that I recall. I believe to download from this site you need to submit 4-5 notes, but that will give you something to practice on. Then you can find a nice round storage can for the early efforts. Remember this is FUN.

Bob Neill

Last edited by bob neill; 02-26-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Of course the answer to this is totally relevant to your own personal conditions.

How much modelling space do I need? Well now, seeing as how the Boxroom is already fully occupied as a female clothing and greetings card factory, the spare back bedroom that doesn't get used much is looking desirable, but I've as much chance of getting that as I have of boarding out the attic and moving up there. (The loft ladder would be considered an obstruction.)

How much modeling space can I manage with? Simple, it's called a tray, and it can be tucked under the settee out of sight when SWMBO requires to use the room I've decided to set up in.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
You can try this site for some gothic cathedrals that are a free download. I have never been disappointed by Canon models, but I haven't built anything in the architecture section.

Architecture - Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park

Good Luck
Beard
Old 02-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for all the great insight. I would definitely like to start on something on the easy side to learns some techniques,but just want to make sure that I'm not committing to a huge workspace.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Kitchen table and a cigar box for all your tools
Google Adsense