PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I know "lazy",
but assuming that such a large percentage of "Designers" are lazy is incorrect.

I think you must separate designers who create retail models for profit
and those who share free/no cost models.

The latter tend to design for themselves first, and are not obligated to provide anything for the masses.
You can't demand or expect instructions for a model that may not have been originally intended for the public.
And you can't assume they are "lazy" for not providing instructions when they release their projects to the public.

You can however comment and constructively criticize a shared model that is unbuildable without some sort of assembly instructions.
Eventually you might convince the designer to create something for you.

Uhu is a great example of this. His older works had little or no instructions with them.
He designed and built these models for himself, and graciously shared the designs with the public.
I complained about some of his earlier designs needing instructions.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

As his fanbase and notoriety grew, he shared more of his build processes that stand in as a form of assembly instruction.
He was never "lazy" about this...it just wasn't part of his original practice.

On the other hand...
those who design models for the retail market, should and must put in the effort
and give you something in the manner of assembly instructions and/or diagrams.
They should also test build and guaranty the fit and buildability of their models.
Those who choose not to do this are definitely lazy or incompetent...or both.

In the end, its up to you to do decide what you want from a designer.
and then avoid buying models from a designer that doesn't give you what you want or expect.
Don't buy a Polish model if you expect and demand English instructions! lol

But I agree, with the worldwide market we have now, it would make sense
for retailers to offer english translations and/or english instruction sets.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Culture/tradition/other factors may also influence the way instructions are presented. If any.
Poland has a long tradition in paper modeling. Quite long.
Publishers *and* modelers have established certain unwritten codes as to how they do things. That's their way, their happy with it, and it works for them. No need to change it just to please ocassional foreign buyers.

Compare it to the global vision the free Canon Creative kits have. It is a different way of working. Not better, not worse, just different.

Compare it also to the kits designed and released in the USA. I'm thinking all the Alan Rose and Peter Zorn kits with their particular way of showing instructions.

I was going to mention UHU too, but Dave already did (along with some good points).

In any case I believe it is important to acknowledge all markets/modelling communities are different. And understand such differences as inherent to them. Once you reach that point there should be no reason to make such a big drama out of such a simple matter.

Regards.