PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 11-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
Spray Painting

With great trepidation I cast out my question to the group. I have been gifted an airbrush kit complete which is very tuneful. I am about to build the Renault R17 tank from GPM, but convert it to the US/Canadian version. That means the hull colour needs to change. I've seen on the Czech site that someone sprayed a kit but no discussion on what or how. I have an idea but don't want to bugger it up.

So, has anyone airbrushed a paper kit and is willing to provide guidance. I realize that practice, not on the kit is necessary first, but it is the second part....Thanks in advance folks.
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I've painted a paper kit with a spray can. You need to seal the paper first, I've used Krylon UV coating and/or Plasti-cote sandable primer. Been experimenting with nail hardener after someone mentioned it here. Haven't sprayed a top coat on any yet. This is were I'm using a spray can gloss for the final finish: Testors for the red wheels and a actual tractor paint for the body. With a flat finish and if you're using an acrylic paint you might be able to get away without all the priming. A recommendation if you're scanning the kit first, would be to go in and knock out most of the color. It was messy working over all the toner. One of the reasons I started over on this one. Since the air brush lays down a more precise layer of paint might make it simpler also. I don't really have a place to set up a air brush spray area (walk out on the patio with the can and spray) plus hate the clean up needed. Besides practicing to lay down a good spray pattern, the main secret on an airbrush in CLEANING.
Attached Thumbnails
Spray Painting-2015-06-19-003x.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.16 MB
Just spray the finished model with a fast drying grey primer like an auto primer or humbrol primer. Several mist coats with a few minutes drying between them will give you a great surface on which to top coat.
The light mist coats will prevent the card getting wet.
Allow to properly dry for a day or two.
Then airbrush your acrylic top coats, again, build up light mist coats allowing a bit of drying time between.
Adding tiny amounts of black or white to your base colour will allow you to shade the under and lower surfaces and to highlight the top surfaces.
Then you can weather.
You will have fun with this.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 177.15 MB
Nice looking tractor Whulsey! I've been wanting to build one to go with my Clark Kent and Pa Kent to park in front of the Kent Farm barn.
Clif
Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.23 MB
Thanks darter. Much appreciated.
Google Adsense