PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.55 MB
Question Need advice -sticking a4 to cardstock - help !!!

Hello Everyone !!
newbie here and newbie to paper-modelling -
I have some models i wanna make from a book - but i don't want to cut out the pieces from the book i want to Save / Retain the book intact - so i thought of Photocopying the images onto A4 and then stick them onto Card stock - AND THEN cutting the images out to proceed with making the model -

My query is ??? -

1. How and what tips and tricks are there, to stick the Printed A4 Sheet onto card stock ??
2. Are there any adverse effects in doing it this way ? meaning will it mess up the A4 sheet OR the model down the line ?
3. Does sticking the A4 sheet to card stock work out well ??
4. Is there any do's and dont's - coz I've never made a paper model before.
5. What is Mod Podge? is this good for my process of sticking A4 to Card ?
6. I ( do know I'll need a lot of Glue ) if i have to stick A4 sheets to card stocks and then cut out pieces to make my model -what would be an economical way (if any) ?

Thank You Everyone Your Kind responses Much Appreciated !
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
1. I would suggest printing the model pages directly onto the A4 cardstock. If your printer can print greeting cards or business cards it should be able to print onto cardstock.

2. You could try the necroscope method:
Bonding (gluing) with cling film (food wrap). IT WORKS!

3. Get some spray adhesive and use that to adhere the printed sheet to the cardstock.

However, the best method is to print directly onto the cardstock as stated in 1.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Ummm? Why are you thinking of sticking A4 Scanned prints onto card stock?

It's much easier to just print direct onto card stock. Unless you are thinking of the much less flexible Cover stock or rigid boards. Most models are formed from 180gsm card, which easily rolls through most printers.

Hee hee. You beat me by seconds Doug ... Great minds think alike, eh?
Old 12-16-2017, 08:00 PM

SCETOAUX - Thank you For Your Response !...Wow and i did read the whole 10pages of the Necroscope method post - a big thanks to Denis -to you and all the others that contributed in that NECROSCOPE post -That is INGENIOUS !!
i will try it out on scraps -

JOHNM - Thank you For Your Response ! I currently don't have INKS in my printer i have the Canon MG6220 and im repenting buying it - have to change 5 cartridges and they dont last -not one bit - they run out quickly & EXPENSIVE so i had to Color-Pcopy them images from the book - your tip a good one - but will do that when i have my printer issues sorted.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
i would scan the original and send it to print shop to print out on relevant card stock.works for me
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPapparadzi View Post
JOHNM - Thank you For Your Response ! I currently don't have INKS in my printer i have the Canon MG6220 and im repenting buying it - have to change 5 cartridges and they dont last -not one bit - they run out quickly & EXPENSIVE so i had to Color-Pcopy them images from the book - your tip a good one - but will do that when i have my printer issues sorted.
Yes, I feel your pain ... I bought a cheap canon MG2450 purely in order to access their Premium content models. Not a good printer, but not rubbish. It did enable me to download all the premium models, but it ran out of ink long before I printed them all. The downloads cannot be translated out of the Canon software environment, so they must be printed on a Canon printer, before they can be scanned into normal PDF format.

A set of Canon refills cost more than the printer. Alternatives are available at half the price, but still not cheap. So the 100ml bottles of Jet-Tec ink and Hypodermic needles that I use for refilling my Brother A3 printer were bought into play. Dunno if there IS summat special about Pixma inks, but cheapo Jet-Tec ink works every bit as well in the Canon and the Brother printers. You just have to figure out where to drill the refill holes in the cartridges. Don't forget to seal the hole up before using it though, or it can get very messy.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:02 PM

SCETOAUX - necroscopy of 2 sheets - Didn't work for me - my experiments and experiences - tried diff papers and diff plastic films - you can always peel the 2 sheets of paper apart - doesn't stay stuck - as in - Bonded / Stuck Forever - fear is ..if it can be peeled apart - then - what happens in Time -after the completion of the model 2-3 years later...humidity factor - UV factor- dampness in air -????? I dont wanna go there - nor be there.

the non bonding - I think it has something to do on a molecular level /structure between the PAPER and the PLASTIC FILMS used.

guess its good ol fashion Glue & Paper for me

Old 12-22-2017, 10:13 PM

JOHNM...... thx fr yr response....

yeah...maybe i'll try to refill the cartridges....
its crazy though - they - canon have a built-in way to monitor your everymove and use of the printer..there's an inbuilt chip and software in the printer that sends them a message about the EVERY Minuscule DETAIL of yer printer. -
also since u mentioned it - that's why even the canon paper model OR W.E. THE F its called - is also designed to spy on your usage thru the your internet connection via yr print device - thats why i stay the F away from their "JERRY-CAN" WEBSITE (pun intended )
Old 12-22-2017, 10:36 PM

Question Is there a way to scale down an image to ho scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
i would scan the original and send it to print shop to print out on relevant card stock.works for me
hello herky n thx for the tip -

But herky i have a question to you -and your response / guidance is much appreciated -

lets say i use my canon printer to scan a paper model from a book as i don't want to cut the pages/model from the book, so i can retain the Book for eternity - so... i scan the construction diagrams from the book onto my pc/folder/file. BTW my printer is also a flatbed scanner.

Question is - IS THERE A WAY TO SCALE DOWN AN IMAGE - like say i want to scale down my model to become HO Scale 1/87th -
i mean when i print and make my model it wud and shud end up being EXACTLY HO Scale 1/87th -

Is there a way to do that ?? and if so is there special program / software ??
Im not computer literate - nor tech savy - but tell me All
Ill figure it out. MAN-TRACKER STYLE

Last edited by LaPapparadzi; 12-22-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: SPELLIN ERR nook = Book
Old 12-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 36.49 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to bloomohio
Wink Great Advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
Yes it works for me at Office Max ,if discount is available,thanks again for reinforcing my first thoughts!
Google Adsense