PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-15-2018, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
Problem with rolling tubes

Hello,

I have a problem related to the rolling of paper tubes. More precisely, it is always the part where two sides meet. These parts are never bent enough to meet each other properly and form a complete circle. On this page Card Modeling FAQ: 3. How about tips on techniques? I found some useful comments, but it is only related to general rolling of cylinders. I will try to illustrate it with a simple sketch (upper is the proper one, lower is what I get):

Thanks in advance!
Google Adsense
Old 05-15-2018, 04:43 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Regarding you illustration, are you using the attached joining tabs or
have you replaced them with joining strips?

From your sketch, I would recommend adding some more "roll" to the
edges of your tube. An "over roll" if you will.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 770.5 KB
In this case I am using joining strips. Probably I need to roll the end parts a little bit more, with very thin metal cylinders, knitting needles would do the trick I hope.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Black Arrow:
Start collecting all diameters of Knitting needles dowels stiff wire anything that is round. Garage sales are great to find stuff cheap. Roll smaller then glue up on one the right size
Good luck,
Miles
Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Try rolling with different size cylinders, from a larger diameter than needed to a smaller diameter than needed.

Start with one that is larger than the final diameter. This gives the paper a bit of curve memory and sort of relaxes the fibers.

Continue with smaller diameter cylinders with successive smaller diameters. This increases the memory and relaxes the fibers more. It also helps reduce the wrinkling of the paper that can happen sometimes when trying to roll to the final diameter of the part in one step.

Finish with a cylinder that has a smaller diameter than needed. This will allow for spring back of the paper.

When glueing try to find a cylinder that is the same or close to the inside diameter of the part. Insert the cylinder into the part and use it as a backer to support the glue joint and to help burnish the joint to flatten.

Where to get the cylinders to do all of that rolling? Well, look around and start collecting cylinders. Soon will have a nice collections of cylinders made of wood, steel, plastic, glass, composite, or whatever material is used to make cylinders, in many diameters and lengths. Broom stick handles, plastic plumbing pipe in various diameters, wooden dowels in various diameters, a telescoping car antenna, etc. Them cylinder things are all over the place once you start looking.

I have a set of wood dapping punches in around 24 different diameters. There is also a collection of wood, steel, and plastic cylinders. Even the Aleene's glue bottles come in handy sometimes.
Google Adsense
Old 05-15-2018, 05:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
A trick I recently learned when rolling tight cylinders, very lightly dampen the inside of the paper to prevent wrinkling.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Try shaving off the underside at the joint, make the cross-section a wedge-shape, it does help coercing the paper into a better tube.

Or, use thinner paper, always works.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.92 MB
How much the diameter of the tube and the thickness of the paper we are talking about?

In general.

I made eg. wheels using socket wrench set
Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Hello Blackarrow,

Try this link to one of my previous builds on rolling tubes and cylinders.

Mk1 Male

Hope that it is of help.

All the best and happy modelling.

Bernie
Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I am certainly no expert but I do what SCEtoAux and cardist do. I also have a collection of Plastruct rods from .010 thru 1/8" left over from my days as a pl^&%%tic heathen.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense