PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
Still trying to learn

Picked up some sheets from printer for first time today

Dam what a diffrence in the way the models come together

But i just can’t seem to learn that when it starts to go bad put model away and work on other models. Lol
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Do not worry and do what MichbelS says, if it goes wrong, print another.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
When I get stuck on some part of the model I do one of the simpler,smaller models just as a mental break.It works for me.I find upsized S&P models are joy to build.

And I agree with Michael-beauty of digital models is you can print them as many times as you like.There are some models I did print more than twice before I got it right (and still make mistakes).
Old 07-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Ahhh, the beauty of digital download. You make a mistake, toss it and print a new one. Let’s see someone try that with a plastic model.
There has been times when I’ve gotten overwhelmed or stuck while building, and I’ve done as already mentioned. Put it down, and walk away. Only I don’t start another one. I go cold turkey till the mood strikes again. It may take a bit longer to finish the model, but I’m in no rush.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
Thanks everybody and bute i usually print a real simple one once a week on regular paper of something i think somebody would like and give to them when done

Have fun everybody
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2018, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.94 MB
I Have printed like 5-6 models at time, different scale, different difficulty. Like Butelczynski said, i like doing simpler models for a break from doing the harder ones. Also sometimes simple models are just beautiful! Currently i have the big boss model wich is the howl's Moving Castle which i go and print 10 pages and cut them/edge-color them when i feel like it, no rush at all. Beside that im working on not-as-big models such as Glados or Deoxys or some other 4-10 page model. and for breaks i go for anything else simple/funny/weird model i find online like Awesomo, some popfolds (cube-ish figures) and other 1-3 page simple models just for fun. Also as a break i started doing many mini figures for RPG, from here: Fantasy Paper Miniature Models
Apart from hoping that someday they will be used on some d&d campaign, they look pretty neat:
https://imgur.com/a/KvDgsdn
Although im taking a break from making them because some of them arent that well-made (mostly spherical ones), at least for my taste and also its very hard to cut the outline details on such small size (and also edge-color them), on hard paper. I think the art should be somewhat simpler or different so it helps with the cutting (talking about 2.5 figures like skeletons etc). Also some black outline would help, which i didnt do in photoshop and i had to do with a marker. Next time ill outline them in photoshop first.

Until now i have never thrown a model away. Glados was about to have a bad time, but i fixed it and its fine now, lookign great hanging from my shelf :D Although it being my hardest model done, i cant really talk about mistakes and having to throw a model away so there's that :P
Old 07-30-2018, 02:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckendzierski View Post
i usually print a real simple one once a week on regular paper

Chucky, if I were you, I would grade up a little and use 120 gram or 160 gram paper. (I don't know the imperial weights) but about twice the thickness of regular print paper. It adds much more sturdiness to your models and is also easier to handle when you bend, fold and curve it. Also, less chance on crumples. It really helps!
Depending on the scale, I use 120 gram, 160 gram and even 200 gram A4 for my builds.
The only builds I use 80 gram printing paper for are Johan Scherft's birds. Because he recommends that in the instructions.

A random rule of thumb: unless otherwise indicated, use 160 gram paper.

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 07-30-2018 at 02:52 AM. Reason: I replaced the letter g for a c because otherwise the spelling wasn't right.