PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-27-2018, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Laser Printer

I have a Brother 2240 mono and a Brother 3150 colour printer/s which can take a maximum 64# paper, according to the manual. I have tried 100# paper in the single feed slot and it seems to work with a little assist at the beginning because the feed rollers will not grab the paper on their own.
My question is, will this hurt the printer if I continue doing using the 100# paper ?
I have a HP 3520 Desk Jet which is rated for 120# paper, but I would prefer using the laser printers.
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2018, 06:32 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
no, it is will not hurt your printer, you might get annoyed after awhile having to do this.

Keep in mind with laser printers, while the print looks nice and crisp, once you start scoring and folding the parts, the toner will flake off, as the toner sits on top of the paper, and unlike an inkjet where the ink soaks into the paper.
2 remedies exist to prevent flaking, spray the sheets with a fixative, this will make the toner more plastic, and flexible, and will reduce the flaking, second is to select the card stock or heavy paper option as this will make the fuser run a bit hotter, and allow the toner to attach to the paper a bit better.

but keep in mind, YMMV
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
That's an awful lot of pages you need to print? Can you damage the printer, depends on what you mean by assistance to get it to work, if you are having to apply force any part of the printer mechanism then you could very well possibly damage the printer. The gear wheels that control the feeding and roller mechanisms cen be quite delicate alongside certain parts of the feed mechanism having alignment setups and sensors that that don't react to well to being forced to do something they don't want too. It's why when a you get a paper jam most manuals will tell you to avoid grabbing the paper and just pulling it free.

If you're being careful and not having to force anything to get it to work chances are you'll be fine though.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:43 PM

Thank you for the info.. I will try the fixative trick.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:52 PM

Cheesy Wotsit,

I only have to give it a slight push, it feels like the feed rollers don't separate enough for the extra thickness, although it does feed automatically when I first put the paper into the slot. I'm sure that the tray system would not work. At least I won't try it.
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
no, it is will not hurt your printer, you might get annoyed after awhile having to do this.

Keep in mind with laser printers, while the print looks nice and crisp, once you start scoring and folding the parts, the toner will flake off, as the toner sits on top of the paper, and unlike an inkjet where the ink soaks into the paper.
2 remedies exist to prevent flaking, spray the sheets with a fixative, this will make the toner more plastic, and flexible, and will reduce the flaking, second is to select the card stock or heavy paper option as this will make the fuser run a bit hotter, and allow the toner to attach to the paper a bit better.

but keep in mind, YMMV
I'm surprised by your comment. I have printed my models using a Ricoh professional laser printer and the flaking you mention has NEVER happened. Perhaps you know why? The printer? I don't like inkjet because it fades very easily with only a few weeks after building and exhibiting the model. Laser printed models never fade, my experience, at least. Also inkjet never prints accurate colors as depicted by Photoshop or other software.

Rick
Old 09-27-2018, 07:45 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
You are one of the lucky ones

I have sold consumer retail laser printers, I even have one here in my house, i have been able to test what I say.

on thick card stock it will flake, because the fuser heats the paper from the backside, more heat is needed when the paper passes over the fuser in order to melt the toner
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
" I don't like inkjet because it fades very easily with only a few weeks after building and exhibiting the model."
Fading ink jet prints is not a problem with Epson printers that use Dura Bright inks, which are advertised as being fade resistant. I think some of the Canon printers also use a light fast ink. Apparently HP uses dye inks that are are not fade resistant.

Rick and Rickpink65:
"and the flaking you mention has NEVER happened"
"on thick card stock it (laser prints) will flake"
Does Ricoh use a laser ink formulation that sticks to paper better than other brands?
What brand of paper do you use?
I used to print my models on a Brother color laser printer, but finally went back to an Epson ink jet, because of the flaking problem on cardstock and most papers. I had one pack of laser printer paper, a discontinued brand which I picked up at a sale at a stationary store that did not flake, it was specially coated for laser printers, it is no longer available at the store, and having gone back to using an inkjet, I have not tried to find out if it is still available elsewhere.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 09-27-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

John and RickSteff:

Believe me, I have had no problems with laser printing. What type of toners or inks the Ricoh printer is using, I don't know. I have just experimented and try to scratch with my fingernail to see what happens and nothing did. Perhaps, as Ricksteff says, is the type of cardboard? Interesting conversation subject.

RICK
Old 09-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Banned

What I do know is that the Ricoh printer is a big machine costing a small fortune since it is not a home type small one. It belongs to a friend of mine who owns a printing business. I'll find the model and let you know which one it is
Google Adsense