PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.26 MB
stiffening printed paper

Hey all, I'm looking for a way to stiffen paper after printing it. I read that brushing on some mod podge on the print would worked and honestly, it did but because my printer is bubblejet instead of a laser printer, the ink tends to run a bit as I brush.

I've tried instead some spray on lacquer and while it preserved the image, it doesn't stiffen the paper much, even after 3 coats and with each successive coat, the surface tends to because grittier.

Since I don't want to buy a laser printer right now and that I don't want to run to officeworks each time I need something printed, does anyone know any other method I could try ?

Last edited by marc pasquin; 03-07-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
Google Adsense
Old 03-07-2019, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
but...if you spray the clearcoat first...maybe 2 or 3 coats...both sides...
it will seal the paper enough to deal with the water in the podge

(podge is just pva glue, by the way)

then coat the sheet with pva/podge to stiffen it.
Maybe only coat the backside?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
If it is a small area, you can use nail hardner (clear nail polish). Sometimes small parts are a little weak, and the nail hardner will help to stiffen the paper. Don't be afraid to use more than one coat, and paint the side that is not printed because it will get progressively shinier with each application. Since it is lacquer it will not cause the ink to run.

If you want to turn the paper to near plastic, coat it with super glue. This will also affect the finish of the paper, usually causing small fibers to rise making it no longer smooth. The super glue will not cause the ink to run either.

Mike
Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
but...if you spray the clearcoat first...maybe 2 or 3 coats...both sides...
it will seal the paper enough to deal with the water in the podge

(podge is just pva glue, by the way)

then coat the sheet with pva/podge to stiffen it.
Yes, I normally just dilute some cheap pva glue but I've found that saying "mod podge" avoid giving the wrong impression.

I did try putting it over the clearcoat but it still ended up with some streaks. Maybe I'm diluting the pva too much or not enough now that I think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Maybe only coat the backside?
I tried it but the podge just diffused through the paper and caused bluriness. Maybe if I try a higher weight of paper it could work, last time it was 190.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
If it is a small area, you can use nail hardner (clear nail polish). Sometimes small parts are a little weak, and the nail hardner will help to stiffen the paper. Don't be afraid to use more than one coat, and paint the side that is not printed because it will get progressively shinier with each application. Since it is lacquer it will not cause the ink to run.

If you want to turn the paper to near plastic, coat it with super glue. This will also affect the finish of the paper, usually causing small fibers to rise making it no longer smooth. The super glue will not cause the ink to run either.

Mike
thanks, will try.

do you normally brush it on, roll it on or spray it ?
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2019, 01:01 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Marc - I am not certain how Marc does it, but nail hardener I would brush on.

Super glue can be brushed - you can get brush-on versions. See below.

But are you talking about just stiffening small parts - which the above would be used for - or large areas?

Neither of the above could be used for large areas.

To stiffen large areas the easiest way may be to reinforce the card/paper with another layer...
Attached Thumbnails
stiffening printed paper-super-glue.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 03-08-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I pour a bead of Aleen’s Tacky Glue along one edge, then quickly draw it down the page using an old credit card or gift card from Walmart. One quick swipe spreads it thinly and evenly without causing the ink to run. Allow it to dry for about an hour, then spray it with a clear coat (I use Krylon triple thick clear from Walmart). Let it dry overnight and you end up with super glossy stiff card stock. The glue prevents the paper from absorbing a lot of the spray paint so it hardens up better and causes the gloss to stand out.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:32 AM

One word of warning. I print out joining strips on a separate sheet of paper that doesn’t get the glue/spray treatment. PVC glue doesn’t stick very well to the treated surface. But on the plus side, glue smudges are easily wiped off with a moist tissue.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:37 AM

Not sure all my USA based products works for you down under, but any PVA glue and Acrylic based spray should do the trick.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
i use water thin ca. can be a bit difficult to use; fingers getting stuck, the fumes and sometimes the paper getting really hot are some of the more annoying issues. the results are worth it though. turns paper plastic-like. makes it very easy to sand, grind, paint etc. tried to find substitutes but the closest thing so far is minwax wood hardener. printed inks will smear therefore soaking from the reverse side is recommended.
Google Adsense