PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.35 MB
tiny parts and ink scuffing

Here's another newbie question.

I'm working on a 1/400 kit that includes a few aircraft. They're kind of a pig to assemble, but the biggest problem I seem to be having with them is having the inks scuff off when I roll the cylindrical parts, and along bend lines. Is this simply unavoidable, or am I just a ham-fisted baboon who should stay away from this hobby?
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Are the parts ink jet printed or laser? Laser printed colors have a tendency to flake, and I don't think there's much that can be done to stop it. Ink jet parts pages should be clear coated with Krylon clear, etc before use. This will help to minimize flaking or rubbing off of color.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
If they are small, chances are you won't lose much detail by simply painting over them. Just another idea
Old 07-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Actually, you may well be a ham-fisted baboon, but you should NOT stay away from paper modeling. The more models you build, the less of a ham-fisted baboon will you be until models start to "come together in your hand," as Carl Beetz (Golden Bear) once said in this forum.

At least, that's how it works for most people. I have been building models for about 70 years and have not yet lost my ham-foisted bamboonicity. But I persist.

Cheers.

Don
Old 07-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Actually, you may well be a ham-fisted baboon, but you should NOT stay away from paper modeling. The more models you build, the less of a ham-fisted baboon will you be until models start to "come together in your hand," as Carl Beetz (Golden Bear) once said in this forum.

At least, that's how it works for most people. I have been building models for about 70 years and have not yet lost my ham-foisted bamboonicity. But I persist.

Cheers.

Don

You're right. And we baboons should stick together. Just don't make me look at your multi-hued baboon butt
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticSwimmer View Post
You're right. And we baboons should stick together. Just don't make me look at your multi-hued baboon butt
yes on the plus side at this size and with a clear glue-i use UHU it shouldnt be visible.i have six carriers awaiting their airwings for same reason
Old 07-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Trivial tips from a humble baboonic fellow:
  • rockpaperscissors's right: since laser pigments, unlike inkjet inks, don't penetrate paper, they easily flake off when handled. On the other hand, inks are more damaged by humidity, thus the coating advice
  • therefore, plan ahead and minimize part handling; score fold lines while each part is still attached to the sheet, so you can hold the white paper, not the part
  • use tweezers as much as possible, and keep your fingers free of sweat (in hot weather I keep baby talc at hand)
  • is it a preprinted model? If not, try printing tiny parts in thinner paper. Sharp bends in thick paper stretch fibers and contribute to flaking/cracking the surface.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:05 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post

Cheers.

Don

You have been building models for 70 years. . . . . .
Holy Toledo.
That makes me a beginner.
Mike
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Ham fisted-Baboon. . . . I resemble that!

As others have said laser printer models have a lot of flaking issues. If you set up the laser printer for card stock you will have fewer issues with the flaking. The setting applies more heat during the fusing process and bonds the print to the paper.

My experience is that Ink Jet printing is a better choice. For both types of printing I would suggest that you find a very flat surface (I use a sheet of window glass) put the printed sheet face down on the glass. fold a towel in to 2 or 3 layers and lay it on top. Heat up an iron to the highest setting with no steam and Iron the paper. The idea is to set (dry?) the print on the paper.

Jim Nunn
Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 814.53 MB
Hi Baltic;

Try spraying the area of the card that you are working, with a commercial overspray such as Krylon. It is fairly inexpensive. It will tack down the print and protect it from water. Ink jet print is not water resistant, so you should overspray your finished model any way. Hope thius helps.

Regards, rjccjr
Google Adsense