PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-17-2020, 11:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What paper should I use

Hi guys,
First post here and have read a lot on which paper to use etc for buildings however I still have unanswered questions that I hope someone could help me with.

I've been using normal copy paper that one would print a word doc on with a Canon inkjet printer and while is is ok the image is rather dull, so I then used some 140gram gloss paper and now the ink smudges due to the inkjet I'm assuming.
Now I'm confused as to what paper is best for building dioramas, matte or gloss or should I use photo paper. If I use photo paper should this be matte or gloss.

Thanks👍
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2020, 01:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Photo copy paper (90 gsm) can have its uses. Normally though, I print on 160 gsm card

Tim
Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The print from an inkjet soaks into the paper and often looks dull. If you really need a gloss surface overspray the print with an acrylic spray. You can get Matt and Gloss spray. It's often good practice to use a light spray coat because it seals the surface and makes it easy to clean up glue marks.

160 gsm is a good place to start - if you find you really need heavier card go to 200 gsm or even 240 gsm.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Othila - it would be very dependant on the scale of the building.

What scale are your buildings?
Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys for responding,
I'm into 1/64 Hot Wheels cars so everything is scaled to about this size or anything that fits on A4 paper at this stage.
So maybe I'll stick with 140-200gsm matte paper and find a spray.

Cheers.
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2020, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Quote:
so I then used some 140gram gloss paper and now the ink smudges due to the inkjet I'm assuming.
That's not necessarily the reason and there can be many of those.Glossy paper,cheaper cartridges,worn out/old printing head can all lead to smudging.Avoiding glossy paper usually helped and I found that coarser paper glues stronger together,it's easier to form to shape and it stays in desired shape better.

Now for thickness or weight of paper general rule is that larger models need thicker paper for rigidity while smaller ones need thinner paper.For my models about 1:100 to 1:50 scale I use 65Lb/175 g/m2 paper but that's my preference.For big models 110 cardstock is a must and it's usually the heaviest cardstock Staples has.

Wherever paper or printer you use put pages away to dry for a day.Don't rush it.I use laser printers and print stays a whole lot better on pages when I just leave them alone to dry properly.

As for dull colors that can be beneficial.Objects I make models of very rarely have vivid colors.After some time out in the sun colors fade,some more than others.A lot of weathering effects on models try to simulate that -see recent thread on Ca.311 bomber model.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I tend to go with 160gsm paper for just about everything. It's cheap and I've got lots of it. Artist's suppy shops sell a spray varnish (gloss or matt) which is specifically designed to protect artwork. It's very good. It's very expensive. Hairspray works well enough, generally speaking.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 PM

Thanks again guys, I was about to buy a Laser printer however I'll stick with the inkjet for now and try some settings on my Canon along with some thicker paper. I've built a few models so far and the look great, just trying to gain perfection on the gear I have.
I did try hairspray with mixed results.

Thanks again��
Old 05-19-2020, 01:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Hairspray varies wildly depending on the brand. Some work well. Some don't. Next time just go to your local hardware store and buy a matt varnish spray.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Hairspray varies wildly depending on the brand. Some work well. Some don't. Next time just go to your local hardware store and buy a matt varnish spray.
Ok I'll give that crack when next at the hardware store.
Cheers
Google Adsense