PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-21-2020, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 89.61 MB
New models

Hi fellow makers.
I am very new to this hobby.
I've seen a lot of model kits available for ships, which is my main part of the hobby.
My question is, if i want to make a model of a particular ship that does'nt come as a kit, how do I do it. Mostly getting the flaring of the hull etc.
Google Adsense
Old 07-21-2020, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
While there are not many books about designing and building paper model ships, there are many many books about designing or drafting ("taking off the lines"), building and planking the hull of a wood ship model which will be helpful to you.
Wood is nothing more than incompletely processed paper.
Many of the principles of building a plank and bulkhead wood ship model carry over into paper modeling, whether it is of a sailing ship or a modern steel ship.
Buy a paper model, by an established publisher, of a ship from the same period as the one you want to model, and study how its designer dealt with the challenge of forming a curvilinear 3D hull from pieces of flat paper that flex in only one direction.
If you are not easily intimidated you can go to the UHU02 blog and follow step by step his creation of an obsessively detailed paper model of the Yamamoto.
There are also several threads in the watercraft section of this forum about researching designing and building paper ship models from scratch.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I totally agree.

I have done a couple boats for the gaming community in the last couple months ( a Bragòsso and Charon's Ferry), and my approach was to build a couple similar boats from established designers first. This helps to get a feel for how a designer handled the shapes and helped me understand how I needed to adjust for the shapes I needed.

What type of ship are you wanting to do?
Old 07-21-2020, 09:51 PM

Thanks for your reply guys.

I'm more interested in Modern designs, ranging from 1870's to present date.
Reason being is I have a shipping company interest and would love to do some models of some of the ships.
I did a course at High School on technical drawing so have a basic understanding of curves and the likes.
As you say, using a pre formed kit will help to understand and familiarize myself with Bow and stern flaring.
I also have a book on Naval Architecture which I will have hunt for in the storeroom.

Looking forward to the challenge.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.67 GB
This site should get you started

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04...ning/Part1.htm
Old 07-23-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyaneward View Post

Thank you very much.

Will definitely come in handy.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
While there are not many books about designing and building paper model ships, there are many many books about designing or drafting ("taking off the lines"), building and planking the hull of a wood ship model which will be helpful to you.
Wood is nothing more than incompletely processed paper.
Many of the principles of building a plank and bulkhead wood ship model carry over into paper modeling, whether it is of a sailing ship or a modern steel ship.
Buy a paper model, by an established publisher, of a ship from the same period as the one you want to model, and study how its designer dealt with the challenge of forming a curvilinear 3D hull from pieces of flat paper that flex in only one direction.
If you are not easily intimidated you can go to the UHU02 blog and follow step by step his creation of an obsessively detailed paper model of the Yamato.
There are also several threads in the watercraft section of this forum about researching designing and building paper ship models from scratch.
Hi John, do you know more about this project as is shown on this site ??

uhu02 ペーパークラフト