PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Question...

I have never heard anyone here mention using a double sided tape adhesive like those that can found in the scrap section of stores like Michaels and AC Moore. It comes in a hand held plastic dispencer similar to that of the white out correction tape.

In my experience with the printing industry, we use 3M transfer tape to glue short runs of custom pocket folders and alike together. This stuff appears to be the same type of product, but only on a smaller scale for home use. If it actually is the same as the 3M product, I can tell you that it is quite strong and permenate. Once applied there is a very thin layer of adhesive that instantly bonds to the surface. There is no wiggle room or dry time involved, once it's down, it's down. I figure this may have some good applications for card modeling. However, the stuff is kind of pricy, I believe it's around $6-8 per roll and is available in both permenate and removeable adhesives. I don't think we would want to try the removable type, we don't want all of our hard work falling apart on us.

I guess I'll have to print out my 50% off coupon and give it a try.
I'll let you know how it works.

Regards,
Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have about a dozen adhesives from previous hobbies, but I only use three (so far) tacky glue, elmers glue, and super 77
Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
I just picked up a bottle of this stuff. I've been using it here and there. So far it's been working out ok. I really do like the bottle design and the two different applicator tips.
Yep, I picked up a bottle the other day. It seems to work real good. Those two applicator tips are a good feature. A big thanks to whoever recommended it (I forget the name, shoot, I have to have my name tattooed in reverse on my forehead so I will know who that bum in the mirror is that is looking back at me :D ).

I have to get used to waiting a bit for the glue to grab since I still use Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue for the vast majority of glueing.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 AM

Man, I love that Tombow MonoAqua. That's got to be one of the absolute BEST adhesives I've ever seen for paper modeling.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Eternal Member

K C Stephens' suggestion to use superglue to stop bleeding is an excellent one!

The cyanoacrylate glues were actually developed as surgical glues to avoid stitching some wounds together!

Bob,the blueeyedbear
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM

I don't have, never had, and don't intend to have any superglue in my possession. I know myself pretty well, and I'd glue somethings of mine together that were never intended to be glued together.

I just can't take that chance... :D
Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Question...

I have never heard anyone here mention using a double sided tape adhesive like those that can found in the scrap section of stores like Michaels and AC Moore. It comes in a hand held plastic dispencer similar to that of the white out correction tape.

In my experience with the printing industry, we use 3M transfer tape to glue short runs of custom pocket folders and alike together. This stuff appears to be the same type of product, but only on a smaller scale for home use. If it actually is the same as the 3M product, I can tell you that it is quite strong and permenate. Once applied there is a very thin layer of adhesive that instantly bonds to the surface. There is no wiggle room or dry time involved, once it's down, it's down. I figure this may have some good applications for card modeling. However, the stuff is kind of pricy, I believe it's around $6-8 per roll and is available in both permenate and removeable adhesives. I don't think we would want to try the removable type, we don't want all of our hard work falling apart on us.

I guess I'll have to print out my 50% off coupon and give it a try.
I'll let you know how it works.

Regards,
I've used the terrifically tacky tape - it works great. Its very effective in holding clear plastic to paper - forever. You have to work pretty quickly though, it starts to set up as soon as it is exposed to air.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Hell, I use a Glue stick and white glue (Elmer's school glue and Elmer's Glue-all) I mainly reserve the glue stick for flat parts that you have to fold over onto itself. whenever else, I hold the glue stick glue in place with one of those pac-man clips ( I don't know the name of them) for about five minutes.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Alene's Tacky (bronze tube), as mentioned previously in this thread, is a great all-around glue if you can only afford one type (or have a limited amount of room for supplies).

Wyvern
Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM

My gluing tools are a pill bottle cap, a toothpick, needlenose tweezers, and Elmer's White.

Pour glue into cap, apply with toothpick, hold surfaces together with tweezers, repeat. I discovered this method, making tiny, little DS Lites. I did a bit of a run with CA to see how that would work, and they all held, too.