PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 MB
Polish instructions

I am new to paper modeling. I have purchased a WW2 German armored car model and an aircraft model. The paper kits are top quality but the biggest obstacle to easy construction is trying to understand the proper sequence, since all the instructions are in Polish ! How do all you experienced guys work around this? Any tips?
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
read the instructions like a fine book and you'll get pretty quickly
Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
For the most part, the build sequence follows the part numbers. Sometimes though there are keys written into the text that tells you additional information or build sequence variations.

Usually, most of us just use the drawings provided. However, I have invested in a Polish to English dictionary to help when needed.

What kits are you working on? Some of us may be able to get you over some of your build humps if we knew what you were starting with.

Greg
Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Finding a previous build thread of the model works for me.

Let us know what kits you are attempting - maybe we can help?

Tim
Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowings View Post
read the instructions like a fine book and you'll get pretty quickly
?

Sorry but if the dude can't read Polish, how is this going to help?

I know you are young and want to be helpful, but sometimes you really need to think through your responses better before posting, young padowan.

Regards,

Old fart, Greg
Old 11-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Just starting on my first commercial model with Polish instructions. Lots of looking and going through the illustrations. And (when I realized that 'yeah, I'm hooked on this stuff') found a Polish-English dictionary at my favorite local used bookstore. Between that and the on-line translators it lets me read a majority of the instructions.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM

I would like to help you, unfortunately, my English is very low:(:(
Ask for help lehcyfer..
PaperModelers.com - View Profile: lehcyfer
he is very helpful.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Ramm has been faster than me (if only because my computer has frozen and I had to restart it and then find this thread again.

It is my standing offer to translate Polish instructions for you - just ask

Sometimes all you need is to give me name of model, publisher (year, series number, etc. can be helpful) - I've got an extensive collection of models and it's possible that I've got it. In other case just scan or make a readable photo of the instruction and post in on forum - for example in this thread. I'll do my best to translate it for you.

Leszek
Old 11-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
This is what I normally do:

1. Go to Type Polish characters - online keyboard website at Type Polish characters - online keyboard where you can type the polish instruction with your keyboard normally but using the alt keys for special characters,

2. Open a new tab or new window and go to the Google translate web site and set your translation parameters like Polish to English or Polish to whatever language you prefer. (This also applies to other languages like Russian to English, Russian to French, I think you get what I mean).

3. Now you can start typing the polish instructions in the polish.typeit web page. It is advisable to just do a small portion at the time then do more when you get accustomed to it. Copy the Polish texts and paste it to the google translate page. Hit translate and you get a best guess translation of the Polish text that you just entered. Copy the translation to whatever word processing program that you prefer (mine is microsoft words) and start pasting it there. Go back to the virtual keyboard and do the next set.

There you have it, it is tedious at first but believe me over time you will be able to master it, just like paper modeling, you need a lot of practice and patience.

I just wish that someone can discover a way to paste scanned copies of the Polish translation directly to the translator, sigh!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
This is an example of what I have accomplished using the method above. It is a rough translation but it is understandable. The first one is the original and the attached file is the translation. There might be a couple of typo errors, but basically we get the idea of figuring out how to make the model. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Polish instructions-history.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt jagdpanther english.txt (6.1 KB, 23 views)
Google Adsense