PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Please advise.....

Hey guys I need help.
As a newbie I would like to use the resources linked to this site.

I would like to have a ship,tank,a/c,and rally car on hand.
When I go to the dealers linked here I find,..very little info.that i can understand,prices,shipping costs,and sometime scale ,kit sophistication
etc.

Who are the good folks to buy from,north America and others that a not to sharp old guy like me could deal with?

You experienced folk must know the good sellers out there.
As I am not too great with the computer I would preferr to buy pre-printed kits for now.

How about some advice on downloading,printing,types of paper and where to buy it..

I know that's a lot of questions ,but sure could use your advice.

Many thanks,,,Ernie
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
First of all, if you wanna buy something, most of the guys who sell the kits, design the kits or just build the kits...can be found here.

So start by asking some questions about those kits.

As far as preprinted kits, no doubt a few guys will chime in very soon!

Good luck and have fun
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
As for North American vendors, you can't go wrong with the following
PaperModels.net
Paper Model Store

Start there, and if you have any other questions, just ask
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Rick, the PaperModels.net site comes up with the old site that says it is being sold...and the old order form. Do you have some current info on this site, if so please bring us up to date. I ordered from Lou several times, and hope the new owner gets things back up to speed soon.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 PM

You could also try Chris Gutzmer's site, ecardmodels.com. There are lots of great sources for models, and folks here are always willing to help answer specific questions...
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Thanks Lancer I dont have any pre-printed kits though so wont be much help in that area! Anyone know if/when Jason might reopen the HobbyFactory for pre-printed models?
Chris
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Also check out cardmodel for some great and inexpensive downloadable kits.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVA View Post
Rick, the PaperModels.net site comes up with the old site that says it is being sold...and the old order form. Do you have some current info on this site, if so please bring us up to date. I ordered from Lou several times, and hope the new owner gets things back up to speed soon.
If you click on the tab that says Search Online Catalog, you will that the store is being replenished, and you will see more and more kits being added.

That is how I found out that they are getting back.

I agree that the for sale/sold sign should come down, and some other place holder should be put up

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
My recommendation is to go to www.papermodelstore.com and look at the recent (after 1998) Maly Modelarz kits. They are reasonably cheap, intermediate skill level kits, with few if any major fit issues, and are an inexpensive way of developing paper modelling skills....with patience, they even make fairly attractive models. While you are on his site, you might spend some time going through the page after page of his "sale" section. Generally speaking, the Modelik kits are reasonably price and make a logical step up from Maly Modelarz. I'd avoid Halinski kits until you build up your skill set....they are up at the high end of the skill spectrum. I agree with www.ecardmodels.com as probably the best estore going at the moment. Chris (the proprietor) is a memember of the group, and will always take the time to respond to pleas for advice from newbies. Marek's kits are usually pretty straightforward builds, though the instructions are minimal....you should have a little experience with the paper model stuff before taking one of them on. Now that Design Group Alpha has provided some instruction sheets (available as freebies on ecardmodels), I would also recommend them as an entry level project. As far as downloading/printing, the general impression I have from reading many strings is that the "best" printer to have is usually whatever printer the responder happens to own at the moment. Opinions are all over the place on the best paper. I've had best luck with Wasau card stock, obtainable at just about any office supply store. I'd recommend picking up a ream of 67 lb and of 110 lb index card stock (bright white). Use the 67 lb on small models and the 110 lb on large models. It also helps to have some good quality 24 lb bond paper on hand when really thin paper is needed. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the response/help guys.
Very helpful info....Ernie
Google Adsense