PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-05-2010, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
YES PLEASE..
I am sure that a lot of us would be interested in that post mate. Thanks for the offer. Please post it in the forum for all of us to see it if you would be so kind.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers
Jim
I second Jim's comments Swampfox. I find this facinating. Please post for all of us!

Regards,
Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
Amazing thing is that when the pencils are dipped in water they turn into a kind of paint! Fancy that! The pencils also go on without having to rub hard to get the "lead" of the pencil onto the model. Wow!. lol
Just a quick comment here. Not all colored pencils do this. Some are wax based and will not dissolve. What you need to make sure of is that the pencils are watercolor or water soluble. Good job on the color mixing by the way.

This technique is excellent for color touch-up on paper/card surfaces.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
Just a quick comment here. Not all colored pencils do this. Some are wax based and will not dissolve. What you need to make sure of is that the pencils are watercolor or water soluble. Good job on the color mixing by the way.

This technique is excellent for color touch-up on paper/card surfaces.
Thanks mate.
I have not finished though. I intend on trying all the suggestions in this topic and see how they fit in with edges, folds, corners and so on. I am sure it is not one-size-fits-all.

I was really pleased with the colour mixing too mate. Actually surprised how well it turned out.

Thinking about trying crayons and the acrylics next on my guinea pig tower.

Cheers and catch you in the forums. Thanks again for your kind words and tips.

Jim
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great job concealing those edges, Piper!

The water-soluble pencils are a nice solution - you get two textures (dry and wet), plus the ability to do some mixing of colors through layering.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco View Post
Great job concealing those edges, Piper!

The water-soluble pencils are a nice solution - you get two textures (dry and wet), plus the ability to do some mixing of colors through layering.
Apreciated mate.
I think my biggest problem with the dry pencils was that I had to rub and rub and rub to get the colour from the pencil onto the model. This produced a lovely shiny area. But like all things, practice makes pefect.

Need to build a couple more of the simpler Ray Keim towers to practice the crayons and arcrylic paints on though.

Cheers and catch up with you in the forums.

Jim
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Every one of these suggestions by masters is a good one and all of these techniques work. I primarily use the Faber-Castell Pitt brush pens, but in recent years, based on the advice of Allan Wheeler, I have increasingly used Caran d'Ache Neocolor wsater-soluble wax pastels. They are expensive, but one will last a long time. You can sharpen the point to get in small places, and it covers the gray dashed lines that appear on some models. When I sharpen one of them, I collect the scrapings in a little water color tray and add a drop of water. I can then apply with a brush like opaque water color or gouache. Since it is opaque, it covers a multitude of sins and since it is water soluble wax, it also fills in narrow spaces if my fit isn't exactly perfect (and it never is).

They are available from Dick Blick and many other places.
Caran d'Ache Neocolor II Artists' Crayons - BLICK art materials

Don
Hi Don.
Thanks for this tip mate. I was also going to buy some of these crayons yesterday but do you think I could remember "caran d'Ache neocolor II artists' crayons" Too many syllables for me to remember for a box of crayons.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Something I noticed with the Prang pencils I mentioned earlier is that when I dip them quickly in water to get the color to flow I found that the areas where some dried PVA glue over an unsightly white space is showing can get colored too. I have tried to color some mistakes like that using dry pencils but it did not work. The wet pencils work good in most cases.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Something I noticed with the Prang pencils I mentioned earlier is that when I dip them quickly in water to get the color to flow I found that the areas where some dried PVA glue over an unsightly white space is showing can get colored too. I have tried to color some mistakes like that using dry pencils but it did not work. The wet pencils work good in most cases.
Oh yes! I am going to try those too. Looks like I am going to need a large shopping list of goodies. Thanks for the follow up mate.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Good job on the question Piper, this thread has turned out great with LOTS of great ideas to try!

By the way, the towers came out great, good job hiding the dashed lines.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Some of the most useful and interesting threads in this Forum have resulted from somebody asking "How do you . . .?"
Google Adsense