PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question Half-track for a noobie?

Hi All
I'm pretty new to paper modelling & am looking for an AFV that isn't too difficult to build. Nevertheless I need a challenge & some detail in the model.

I'm leaning towards half-tracks especially the Sdkfz 7 or 251 as I find these aesthetically pleasing an M2 would probably be easier tho having far less wheels!

I would like to build something like the GPM Greif but that's out of my league for now. (I'm sure I will learn to build tracks one day!)

I found a nice 1/72 251 on Exclusive Models which I can cut my teeth on. (& maybe colour in paintshop if the authors don't mind. )

I would prefer a larger scale - 1/33 or 1/25 so maybe I could try upscaling the pages. I recall reading that fineprint can rescale pages eg A3 to A4, so I might try that out.

Any suggestions on kits etc welcome.
Google Adsense
Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
You might try www.papertigerarmaments.com. The kits aren't free, but reasonably priced. They are 1:72 scale, but enlarge to 1:48 very nicely, and some of their kits might even stand up to enlarging to 1:32 without too much loss in translation. Some of the Paper Tiger models are now available through www.ecardmodels.com, but I don't know if any of the halftracks are posted there.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks, I will definately try those scale changes.
I am gonna try the 'Exclusive' & the 'Papertiger' 251 & see how I get along. The 2 different build designs should give me some good experience.

I will post some 'after the bombing' pics of the results
Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 AM

I find a 251 and 250 half track some where. It may be from this site with many nice free small model... Y's Paper Modelworkshop / Models by Visiters Some IMHO are well enough in detail that you can enlarge easily.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keds_Girl_Lala View Post
I find a 251 and 250 half track some where. It may be from this site with many nice free small model... Y's Paper Modelworkshop / Models by Visiters Some IMHO are well enough in detail that you can enlarge easily.
There are some good looking models on that site. Looks like my list of things I want to try is quickly getting pretty loooooooong.
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keds_Girl_Lala View Post
I wonder what happened to Yoshi. He was quite active for a long time and then completely silent. I always wished that Humber Mk. 2 would've been released.

Ryan
Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
There are some good looking models on that site. Looks like my list of things I want to try is quickly getting pretty loooooooong.
That seems to happen with the inexpensive nature / small size of paper models - even commercial ones, let alone freebees
Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Medved

How about Modelik's Sd Kfz 2 NSU "Kettenkrad" 1/25 scale so it is relatively easy to build has all the elements of a AFV. The model builds up very nicely, my model took a second at a regional IPMS contest in a plastics category.

Available from the Paper Model Store at
http://www.papermodelstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=723

Jim Nunn
Attached Thumbnails
Half-track for a noobie?-sdkfz-2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM

@dansls1 Its good that I can build up a library of models that will only use up a few discs (compared to boxed kits which would require a larger house to store the equivalent)
The down-side is, I suspect, the weeks of reviewing which of the 3241 different versions of the same thing I've collected, are to be built

@Jim Nunn I have always had a soft spot for the kettenkraftrad, tho the real ones are a very touchy beast I believe, I heard one sold recently for 150k euros.
So I think the paper version could be a very viable alternative :p & is going on my wants list. I would certainly like to be able to make one as good as your example!

With reference to the 251, I am now holding the papertiger 251 & the Exclusive 251,
The PT is immediately recognisable as a more straight-forward & well supported (by instructions) build.
Looking at the papertiger site I can see the model can look really great.

The EM is crisp in print but actually accurately cutting the small components - the 'hubs' for the road wheels, the tow hook etc at this scale look nearly impossible to cut accurately (for me at least)

Exclusive Models - Halftrucks
The absence of color isn't an issue right now - I think I will make it B&W initially.

My gut feeling is through a comparison I might be eventually able to build a hybrid that maximises the designers style & insight, improves my skill set & benefits the result.

Reminds me of the days of 'super-detailing' plastic kits & seeing the current thread on the FG Gloster is giving me ideas. (As an aside my grand-father was a draughtsman on the Gloster jets development in the war).

So the Papertiger 251 will be my first AFV attempt & hopefully someone will have some tips for me as regards actually cutting the Exclusive parts out properly.

I have seen comments on punches & sharpened tubes but haven't obtained or actually tried these, but suspect the exact cutting & retention of such small circles will be quite demanding.

I am gonna search the forum for tips but anyone has a suggestion please weigh in!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 AM

I use a hole punch to do such things. I buy one at Michaels that it says it is 1/16 but it is more to be 1/8, which is fine. But they come in sizes...

The punch it has a cover but the way I use the punch is to lift the cover so I can see to align the punch around the part. Then when you carefully squeeze the punch just make sure to keep the perforation.

If you look for the posts I make with my Traction Engine tractor I make the wheel hubs with the punch and also some small pulley wheel.
Google Adsense