PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Another Glue Question

Hi team
OK! I am on my second Guinea pig model. Using them to learn paper modeling techniques on. After reading a lot about gluing in the forums, I think the best tip I have read so far is to use a tooth pick. My first model, the Cassini, I used a paint brush - too much glue. On my second model, the Lost in Space, Space Probe, I used a tooth pick. Nice! The paper stays stiff and does not lose shape like it did while using a paint brush to administer the glue. I am using Elmer's multi purpose and it works wonderful. My question is since using less glue I find it dries before I have time to put some of the larger parts in place so I end up putting a second amount of glue on. Is there a slower setting glue that I would use for these larger parts or is there a different technique anyone would recommend please? I am using Wausau Exact Index 110 pound paper.

Just as a side note I found myself getting sick to death looking at the white paper while building the cassini model. Hence moving to the nice orange space pod for my second attempt.

Thanks team.

Jim
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Elmer's multi purpose is pretty thin (high H2O to PVA ratio) , it sounds like you may be trying to glue too much at once.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
Elmer's multi purpose is pretty thin (high H2O to PVA ratio) , it sounds like you may be trying to glue too much at once.
Hmm! Not sure mate. The part I was putting in was part 2. The round part in the base of Ron Caudillo's Space Pod. As I don't yet have a "feel" for gluing paper, I thought that others may be using a second type of glue. perhaps you are correct and I need to glue this part a small bit at a time. To save you looking it up it is a small 1 1/2' diameter ring and I am gluing the outer ring to keep it in place.
Anyhoo thanks for the advice. I will see if it is my technique that needs honing. lol

Cheers
Jim
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sounds like you're on the right tack, just need a little more practice on finding the balance between too much and too little glue.
Pressure, when possible, will help as well. If it's something you can get tweezers on both sides of, pressing the seam together will work even when you think the glue is too dry. (And as soon as you get it figured out, the summer humidity will hit, and you'll have to learn all over again)
What High School did you go to? (which for the non-St Louisans is an imporant and informative question)
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Jim; given the size of the piece I would say that perhaps your environment is the problem (i.e hot and dry). It is also possible that you are using too little glue, spreading it too thin, or taking too long to get it applied. You could try experimenting with some scrap card stock. You could of course just continue double gluing - some people recommend this method.

A lot of modelers use Elmers, others use Aleenes Tacky glue (a thicker PVA and my favorite), UHU all purpose, or Duco cement. I find Elmers dries too slow and causes warping, and UHU and Duco get lumpy and stringy.
Google Adsense
Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
What High School did you go to? (which for the non-St Louisans is an imporant and informative question)
Thanks for the reply mate. And in answer to your question I went to Holyrood High School in Edinburgh, Scotland. :D. I moved here about 10 years ago after 16 years in the British Army then another 4 years in the Essex Police. St. Louis is my new home but I am Scottish mate.

My wife went to Cape Girardeau if that helps. lol

Cheers
Jim
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
Jim; given the size of the piece I would say that perhaps your environment is the problem (i.e hot and dry). It is also possible that you are using too little glue, spreading it too thin, or taking too long to get it applied. You could try experimenting with some scrap card stock. You could of course just continue double gluing - some people recommend this method.

A lot of modelers use Elmers, others use Aleenes Tacky glue (a thicker PVA and my favorite), UHU all purpose, or Duco cement. I find Elmers dries too slow and causes warping, and UHU and Duco get lumpy and stringy.
Wonderful! I really have got to stop saying wonderful but with all these great people and great tips, Wonderful fits the bill nicely. So! Wonderful. I Will give those other glues a try as well, but out of the types of glue I have been trying the Elmer's seems to be the best so far for my needs. I read the other thread about CA glue to that's another avenue I will be going down too for the smaller parts and stiffening purposes.

Cheers
Jim
Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I’m making a guess here but are you forming the parts so that they hold their shape and all you have to do is apply the glue to finish them? If you are not doing this give it a try this allows you more time to apply the glue. Personally I find Elmer’s hard to work with for me it is to thin.

Jim Nunn
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
I personally like the Elmer's but have CA and UHU glue sticks and all purpose on hand also. I find that depending on the parts I may have to apply a little more glue to give me time or glue small sections at a time. The biggest thing is experience and experimentation.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
I’m making a guess here but are you forming the parts so that they hold their shape and all you have to do is apply the glue to finish them? If you are not doing this give it a try this allows you more time to apply the glue. Personally I find Elmer’s hard to work with for me it is to thin.

Jim Nunn
Thanks Jim. Yes I am forming the parts. I think I just need to practice a bit more with the sound of things. I started off with way too much glue. Now sounds like I am a fraction on the low side. Now to just find the correct amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgifford View Post
I personally like the Elmer's but have CA and UHU glue sticks and all purpose on hand also. I find that depending on the parts I may have to apply a little more glue to give me time or glue small sections at a time. The biggest thing is experience and experimentation.
Hey SpGifford. Agreed on the experience and experimentation.
Thanks.

Jim
Google Adsense