PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Re-scaling problems with GIMP

I am re-scaling the Beech Starship model by Marian Aldenhovel from 1:33 to 1:72 using GIMP. All of the pages are shrinking down fine except for page 16. Whenever I print out page 16 it is larger than the others. When printing at full scale it is the same size. I am importing the images at 200 pixels per inch, and scaling by 45.83 percent. I have also tried using the print dimensions from one of the sheets that is the right size and entering them into the scaling function rather than a percentage, with the same effect. Has anyone scaled this model before, or have any guesses what is causing my difficulty?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Here's page 16 scaled to 45.83 pct original resolution. I opened it in Illustrator and rescaled it there. Saved again as a pdf. Hope it works.

Leif
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BeechStarship p. 16 45.83pct orig res.pdf (100.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the help Leif. Unfortunately no joy, it printed out the same size as my supposedly too large page 16. I ended up just dancing in the dark with percentages and a light box until I got the outlines of the pages the same size. Still not sure what's going on here, but they're all the same size at least. It wound up taking a percentage of 38.5 to work. Now the only question is whether my model is 1:72 or 1:something smaller! Oh well, as long as everything lines up I'm happy. Thanks again for your very kind help.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Print Leif's file from Acrobat Reader (although you ought to be using Foxit Reader) rather than from GIMP, see what you get. If it's still wrong your printer is in strife.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Looker; I suspect you may be right about my printer, as that's exactly how I printed out Leif's file. Since I've managed to stumble my way to a "Band-Aid" solution the problem now becomes one of curiosity about the root cause and simple learning, but I am still interested in figuring out what's happening. Thanks again for the help from both of you guys, this is a great forum, populated by good people.