PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   First Cuts; A Lounge (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/first-cuts-lounge/)
-   -   Shaping formers and other thick pieces... (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/first-cuts-lounge/9166-shaping-formers-other-thick-pieces.html)

tazman3 07-10-2010 12:30 PM

Shaping formers and other thick pieces...

What do you guys use to shape formers? Do you use a hobby knife, sandpaper, emory boards, etc...? If you use sandpaper, which was going to be my choice before I asked...what grit # do you normally use?
Does it matter that much?

Ron40 07-10-2010 12:37 PM

tazman,
I use all the above depending on what is desired. For
sanding I use the flex able nail file emery boards. Ron

Thomas Meek 07-10-2010 12:58 PM

About a year ago I asked the same question. Among those who responded was shrike, who said:
Quote:

Get thee to the Sally Beauty Supply store (there are 4 in or near Ft Wayne) and buy an assortment of foam cored fingernail files. Available in grits from 100 to 600, at less than a buck they are rigid, washable and handy. I use them a LOT for fitting formers, making wheel and dealing with the occasional ragged fingernail.

The finer grits seem to raise a little less of a burr than the coarse ones, and the rigid stick allows for much better control.

For the burr that is raised, I just use a sharp blade laid flat on the former and slice off what sticks up.
Having done as he suggested and seen the quality of my builds increase noticeably, I pass it along to you. (All except the part about Fort Wayne. You might want to find a location closer to wherever you are.)

Thomas

rjm 07-10-2010 01:10 PM

I have one that looks like Lucite about 1/16th" thick, one side of
which appears to have been etched. The name is mostly worn
off. It says ???? Crystal File. Found it at a store that sells nail
files and stuff. It is very stiff and good for making flat stuff or
I suppose it could be used to hold against things you want to
round, such as a wheel mounted in a motor tool.

legion 07-10-2010 01:21 PM

I prefer 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, the emery nail files are a bit too coarse at times.

SCEtoAUX 07-10-2010 01:54 PM

I have an assortment of those flexible emory boards.
Three are Tropical Shine
707301 Fine 400/600
707302 Medium 220/320
707303 Coarse 100/180

One is Soft Touch 115300 Ex Fine 280/320

All are washable. They work very good in shaping parts and removing unwanted markings. Not bad on the nails, neither. :D

looker 07-10-2010 01:56 PM

Or DIY by sticking a piece of your preferred grade of abrasive paper to a popsicle stick or similar.

silveroxide 07-10-2010 02:09 PM

I use a variety of sanding tools. For fast work, I start with my dremel, Then with fine sand paper and finally with a jewelers file to smooth things. Always sand gently and carefully or you will lift the paper underneath.

Jim Nunn 07-10-2010 08:16 PM

As you can see most of us use all three. However what you use to make the formers is, at least for me more important then how I make them. I personally gave up on using found card stock over a decade ago. You may have run across discussions on making your own .5 and 1 mm card stock by gluing 2 and 4 sheets of 60-67 lb cover stock with 3M 77 spray glue. This takes a little effort but well worth the effort. The finished stock is quite dense and easy to sand and best of all you don’t end up with a fuzzy edge from sanding. I hate to say it but working with it is very much like working with styrene plastic.

Jim Nunn

The Orange 07-10-2010 08:23 PM

I'm surprised, whenever I try to sand down the laminated card, I always end up with fuzzy edges. Most of the time the card actually peels away.