PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > fishBait's Projects

Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.93 MB
Scale Galvanized Community Watertank

As advertised earlier, a galvanized water tank will be the next project and the first scale railroad project. After due consideration and study of the intended prototype, I decided to include three actual prototypes in the design phase (See images below!). The three prototypes are very similiar varying mainly in the top vent structure. At this point, I plan to include both vent structures as options.

One other major change in my design plans. I have decided to make and distribute the following scales:
O (1/:48), S (1/64), OO (1/76.2), HO (1/87), TT (1/120), N (1/160), and possibly Z (1/300) as well as the popular none railroad diorama scales of 1/35, 1/48, 1/72 and 1/44.

I realize that G scale is missing. That could change if there are enough posts to change my mind and a consistant scale can be agreed on. By the same token, if I have missed your favorite scale, the same rules apply. Let me know.

More later,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p01-proto1.jpg   Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p02-proto2.jpg   Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p03-proto3.jpg  
Schauen mit den Augen nicht die Hände!
Google Adsense
Old 09-17-2012, 07:53 PM

I decided to go with three prototypes after I formulated my design strategy. How do you make a scale galvanized watertank made up of galvanized steel panels and make it look real? Huuummmm! Well, how about making up all of the steel panels individually from photos of the actual panels. Sounds good to me.

However, access problems prevented me from getting enough panels to make the tank. There are two more such tanks in neighboring additions, so go take photos of those panels. The fact of two different vent systems was just iceing on the cake. In addition, the tanks could be photographed under different lighting conditions.

So we start making our tank the old fashion way; One Panel At A Time! You can get an idea how this scheme is going to produce unique panes.

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p04-toplevelpanel.jpg   Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p05-toplevelpanel.jpg   Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p06-mid-botlevelpanel.jpg   Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p07-mid-botlevelpanel.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM

To see how this method is going to work out, I built a small segment of the watertank wall. Notice the top two outer panels. They look out of place because they are so dark. That is because they go on the other side of the tank (the shaded side, remember the lighting changes mentioned in the second post).

I will keep you updated as the design progresses.

More Later,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-p08-sidewallsection.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
very interesting. I've always been dissatisfied with my own efforts at reproducing metal surfaces, (galvanized metal, gold, silver, chrome, etc.) I think your style of combining different tones has some merit.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
This model has a personal interest for me because I worked in Water Treatment for 31 years.
Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, that looks like a painstaking technique, that's a lot of panels to photograph and process. But the result should be some super-realistic textures. I'm eager to see how this promising project turns out!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
very interesting. I've always been dissatisfied with my own efforts at reproducing metal surfaces, (galvanized metal, gold, silver, chrome, etc.) I think your style of combining different tones has some merit.
I am humbled and surprised to have such an icon of the paper modeling community not only visit, but comment on my project. I am a great fan of your website.

I put considerable thought into how I could reproduce the classic zinc galvanized texture and finally hit on this technique. I think it will work out quite well. If so, I hope to use it on several other surfaces.

I would be pleased if you would visit my website: Modeling Resource and Downloads.

fishBait
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
This model has a personal interest for me because I worked in Water Treatment for 31 years.
Glad I could hit your sweet spot. After 30 years in the oil field, I served 6 years with a state river authority. Throughly enjoyed it.

fishBait
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco View Post
Wow, that looks like a painstaking technique, that's a lot of panels to photograph and process. But the result should be some super-realistic textures. I'm eager to see how this promising project turns out!
Right you are. I added only eight new panels tonight. Gonna take a while.

Thanks,

fishBait
Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 PM

The watertank is progressing nicely. Couple of visits to the MUD (Municipal Utility District) for a conversation with the local manager. Cleared up some details and nailed down some dimensions. The tank under design is a 400,000 gallon bolted iron tank, one of the most popular in this area. If, and only if, I get enough requests, I will extend the project to include one of the smaller tanks.

An extended time of health issues, systems turmoil, and other various items curtailed modeling time. The USS Cairo languished in Beta testing for other reasons and new projects were just not possible. Now, the 'Bait was not too happy about the situation, but was unable to rectify the problems.

As the Postman (Kevin Costner) was fond of saying: "Things are getten better!" The USS Cairo is being cleaned up and will be released in a matter of days and the watertank is well underway. From here, I will be keeping 2 or more designs in the hopper and active at all times.

Next design start announcement will be sometime before next weekend.

More later,

fishBait
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-firstlook.jpg   Scale Galvanized Community Watertank-second.jpg  
Google Adsense