PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fokker E.III Challenge

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Fokker Challenge build questions

Okay, I got to ask...

1. I noted on sheet 4 that the upper fuselage skin has a "*" after the number (11*). I understood that the "*" means to mount this to .5mm stock. Is that how you guys are reading this and does that make sense?

2. I built up the under frame work and got ready to put some of the skin on and realized it is longer than framework. It sticks past the rear of the framework by about 5mm on my kit (641/16). Is this the same for anyone else?

Am I just missing something here? :o

Jeff
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
1 - No this does not make sense.
2 - the forward end of the skin should hang over the after end of the cockpit cut out by approx 1cm (the after end of the gas cap should be just forward of the after cock pit frame. You can use the panel lines on the sides to line up the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker Challenge build questions-11oh.jpg   Fokker Challenge build questions-11ohb.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Gas cap? Is that what that is? Learn something new every day.

It has been a long time but I really do not remember any strange things going on with this kit. I think that I was new enough to card modeling then that I just made the pieces sort of fit! Also, having no card stock at the time, I printed it out on scrap poster board. How my poor HP printer handled that I will never know. I am following along though, so that my next attempt will be (hopefully) much better.

Thanks for the question and answer guys!
CT
Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Gas cap? Is that what that is? Learn something new every day.

It has been a long time but I really do not remember any strange things going on with this kit. I think that I was new enough to card modeling then that I just made the pieces sort of fit! Also, having no card stock at the time, I printed it out on scrap poster board. How my poor HP printer handled that I will never know. I am following along though, so that my next attempt will be (hopefully) much better.

Thanks for the question and answer guys!
CT
Its Part #34 on the model . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker Challenge build questions-10216201.jpg  

Last edited by B-Manic; 06-14-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: ----> more cowbell
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
did you print with no scaling? I found on a couple pages it clipped the printout. on another page it did not. I bet if you chose to scale to fit it may have printed the two pages differently. Measure the measuring scales on the edges to make sure they are printed to the same scale.
Chris
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Guys,

First off, thanks tons for all the suggestions and guidance. ...great group here on the forum!!! :D

I checked the scale on the sheets and that looks good.

Okay, so as you can see by my pictures I think I figured out the issue and why I thought the skin was too long. As you can see my seat is partially covered by the upper skin. Gee, could it possibly be a mistake on my part? Could the seat be too far back? Back to the factory for repairs. :o

Corey,

Like stated this is for the gas cap. I learned something, too while researching this aircraft before building. There are two fuel tanks. There is the primary tank behind the pilot and a smaller tank in front of the instrument pannel. This front tank is the one that feeds the engine. Periodically, the pilot would have to use a hand pump (mounted on the right front of the cockpit...got to remember to fabricate this) to transload fuel between tanks. Geez, imagine a mis-calculation here and run out of fuel in a dog fight.

Chris, By the way. There was a discussion on your thread about how to make a metal cowling with the swirls. I was looking at the E.III kit at your store (One of the first kits I got from you) for reference. It has the correct finish you are looking for.

Again, thanks to all for your comments. All appreciated. :D

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker Challenge build questions-cockpit-side.jpg   Fokker Challenge build questions-cockpit-top.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I wonder if this contest could be expanded to include any eindeckers... that would be cool!

Glad you got the issue figured out!
Chris
Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I decided to build this model just a few days ago. I'm having numerous issues. I know this challenge is old, but I was hoping to maybe get some help here...

1. Most of the fuse frame parts don't fit. The formers do not go the entire length of the keel..there is about 1/16" keel below the formers. The F12 and the cockpit floor are too short for the distance between the formers they go between. If you laminate to .5mm cardstock, all of the former and keel slots are too narrow. Also, the F12 flat piece in the upper nose is too thick if you use .5mm - it protrudes beyond the curve in F3 and F4.

2. The outer skin of the sides and bottom are too long for the inner frame, about 1/8".

3. The inner wing panels are too long, they go to the very edge of the wing tip in the front, and beyond it in the back.

I suspect that some of of this might be scaling problems with the printing?

4. The tube for the wing wire is too big. It makes the airfoil too fat.

5. is the wing wire suppose to be a continuous piece one wing panel through the fuselage into the other wing panel? If so, the whole for the wire in the keel is way too big?

6. Geez - time to start over. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated...I wish Designers included more info in their instructions.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.69 MB
why don't you take a look over at the Zealot forum,ages ago I built 3 versions of the E.III ; New Fokker E-III (okay, several) - Zealot Hobby Forum.
in the downloads section there's an dditional part for the front of the engine cowling and on my homepage, The Brainstorm Inn proudly presents previously unpublished work by Richard Schulten there's a better version for the engine.
I remember this model having some issues but for a freebee it's a pretty decent one.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 47.69 MB
as for the tube for the wing wire, here's how I solved it;
glue parts 22a and 22b on 0,5mm cardboard
cut two strips of 1x1mm cardboard and glue them between 22a and 22b with a space of 1mm between them for the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker Challenge build questions-eiii-wing.jpg  
Google Adsense