PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fokker E.III Challenge

Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!

Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!

Thanks to our Mods and Admin we can have some fun I guess that by posting here I have committed to finishing this bird....uh oh. Anyways, I've chosen Udet's E.III. I wish I had Sky's talents with Photoshop as these little terrors would look really nice with her skills and textures applied.
Here's a pic of what she'll be from the first page of the kit. This is my commitment posting although I won't get much done for a few days. There's still a need to finish my D.VI

See ya soon
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!-fokker_eiii_udet-1.jpg  
Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Ron,

If this is anything like your Fokker D.VI it will be a masterpiece.

I know what you mean about it will need to wait. I'll make the (641/16) from the Ottoman Armed Forces, but I have a project I really need to finish first...oh, then the Nephew and Niece come for a couple of weeks....whaa whaa. :(

Look forward to seeing Udet's bird come alive.

Jeff
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM

Jeff...this is it, I'm goin' in!

I hope you don't mind, I borrowed your fuel tank idea as I thought it was fantastic :) This model, so far, has proven to be a lot of fun. I noticed that if you stay to the inside of all the former lines it's smooth sailing. The cockpit gauges are make believe as I couldn't really find *any* e.III that looked like the one that came with the kit. I did see a *lack* of gauges on pictures of the real thing so anyone's guess is good :) The cowling is done the same way as the one I did for the d.VI. I might re-do it as it's not as nice as I'd like it to be. Jeff, I think that the additional segment you added to yours made a huge difference. Next are the seat and control column and then we'll close this puppy up. The two side cockpit formers seem to be out of whack size-wise. Anyone else have that problem? I can't wait to get to the rigging! I've been reading alot about wing warping and it's a really neat way of steering an airplane. I always wondered about all the rigging on the e.III and now I know!

More to come
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!-fokker_eiii_udet-2.jpg   Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!-fokker_eiii_udet-3.jpg   Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!-fokker_eiii_udet-4.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Lookin' mighty fine Ron. Fantastic cowling. I found that cutting just inside the lines worked well for also. The pictures I have seen of the instruments is fairly accurately reproduced in the kit.

~ Douglas
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This is another fine looking Fokker! Another great looking cowling. I admire the work you and all the others are doing on this challenge. When everyone's done, there should be one nice shot of all the finished models shopped into one line-up!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
awesome - another! looking great
Old 06-24-2010, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Ron, this is looking great. Your fuel tank is mucho bettero.
Looks like you had a easier time with part 12. I had a heck of a time getting that on the formers...finally had to sand down where it sits.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your build.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Hi Guys
Quote:
Looks like you had a easier time with part 12. I had a heck of a time getting that on the formers
Jeff, I didn't have any problems at all....I was really wondering about the side cockpit panels (part 10) I had to cut a strip out of mine to get it to fit correctly where #11 (the top of the fuselage)rests on it. I bet these issues were all documented somewhere either elsewhere in English or on one of the European forums. It's fun to play as we go though

I did as Chris did and cut off the joining tabs on the bottom fuselage skin and edge glued it all. I'm not as happy as I wanted to be with it but it will do. There is a slight twist in the frame too that drove me nuts when I was trying to glue the skins down. A second set of parts provided the small panels for the front end. I made a template from the part that they were cut out of to get the placement right. One can imagine the nightmare when the cowling goes on with those things in the wrong place! As usual the rigging was forgotten about....oh well..more fun later!! Douglas, I cant wait to see how you get your cowling on...I'm glad you're ahead of me so I can follow in your steps

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!-fokker_eiii_udet-5.jpg   Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!-fokker_eiii_udet-6.jpg   Let the Fokker Scourge Begin!-fokker_eiii_udet-7.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Beautiful Ron. I wish I could build that clean. Did you separate the metal parts of the fuselage for painting or just mask them off? The aluminum effect looks great BTW.

I had to trim the cockpit interior panels also. I have the cowling and fairing plates attached. I used the engine mounting / shaft hole to eye ball center align it and the upper edge is aligned to the top of the fuselage curve. I just butt glued it to the skin edges. The fairing plates look under sized to me and the openings for the leading edge of the wing root looks to be the wrong shape. I guess I'll find out. I'm working on the fuel gauge now. When it is mounted and everything is set I'll post more pictures.

~ Douglas
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
WOW! That is one clean build your metal surely looks better than my RR paper turned out!
Chris