PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis7485 View Post
If I build one of these, it won't be for RC, it'll still be a static model. It would break my heart to spend all that time building it just to watch it nosedive into the ground.
thank you Nemesis7485, I've had my heart broken many, many times Static is good.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Those planes are massive!! I would think they would be "heavy" planes for R/C but they advertise them as in the "Park Flyer" range in size. Of course without seeing one in person, who knows. Seems expensive but the size and detail kind of balances it out. I think it (they) are really nice looking models with a decent price, considering the size, detail, and their uniqueness. I bet they end up being collectors items.
thank you Zathros for your kind comments. The card medium does always threaten to be be heavier than balsa and tissue, and it was a challenge to get the weight down while maintaining strength. The planes weigh in at about 34 ounces "wet", so are actually about the same, or only an ounce or two heavier, than their balsa counterparts of the same size. But, they are extremely durable.

It was also a challenge to keep the price down, which I have sincerely tried to do! Since the kit contains all necessary pieces, the cost of the heavy card, light card, instruction books, printing, and many decals, as well as box, label, etc. just all add up. Then there are other fees associated with selling as well not to mention time! I only wish shipping costs were not what they unfortunately are.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 726.48 MB
I am really tempted to buy one, but aside from the R/C equipment are there any other items needed to make it a flying model not counting tools and glue?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperairforce View Post
thank you Zathros for your kind comments. The card medium does always threaten to be be heavier than balsa and tissue, and it was a challenge to get the weight down while maintaining strength. The planes weigh in at about 34 ounces "wet", so are actually about the same, or only an ounce or two heavier, than their balsa counterparts of the same size. But, they are extremely durable.

It was also a challenge to keep the price down, which I have sincerely tried to do! Since the kit contains all necessary pieces, the cost of the heavy card, light card, instruction books, printing, and many decals, as well as box, label, etc. just all add up. Then there are other fees associated with selling as well not to mention time! I only wish shipping costs were not what they unfortunately are.
Wow, you are the designer! I think that is really cool. Sending you a P.M. with a question.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
I just checked out the paperairforce website. The construction method is certainly unique as it combines traditional paper construction techniques with the fairing and finishing techniques associated with plastic models. With proper care and the addition of vacuform canopies and detailed cockpit interiors these models could cause quite a commotion in the IPMS/FineScaleModeler world.

And as for price, I think that $35.00 for 1 inch scale is very good especially considering what paper 1/33 Halinski models fetch. And I must wonder what Trumpeter would charge for a reasonably detailed model this big?

I am definitely interested.

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaniel View Post
I am really tempted to buy one, but aside from the R/C equipment are there any other items needed to make it a flying model not counting tools and glue?
aside from tools and glue and equipment (incl engine, spinner, prop), it will just need some hinges, 2 micro horns, music wire, (for control surfaces), some nuts and bolts, and a good two or three coats of epoxy on the fuselage, preferably 20 minute, and one or two coats on the wings. oh, forgot, the P-51 will either need a vacuum canopy, or just sloppy epoxy reinforcement on the one it's got, for flight

Last edited by paperairforce; 07-22-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 PM

thanks Zathros and ashevilleangler. I have seen some of the cockpit details on the other threads, and would love to see one like that in these planes. I'm not sure I have the skill or patience to get it done though! some of these builds I see here are just stunning
Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
These look cool. At 34 ounces an electric geared motor, 11.1v LiPo 1300mah battery, micro servos, micro 2.4ghz receiver should do it. I'm not sure about the motor kv size and prop diameter and pitch yet. I guess will have to order one to find out :-)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Wow, great stuff!
Paperairforce, would you consider shipping to Europe?
I don't mind about the extra shipping costs, I've got a Credit card and Paypall
I would love to check one out..

Last edited by billy.leliveld; 07-25-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
These look cool. At 34 ounces an electric geared motor, 11.1v LiPo 1300mah battery, micro servos, micro 2.4ghz receiver should do it. I'm not sure about the motor kv size and prop diameter and pitch yet. I guess will have to order one to find out :-)
thanks Greg. There are a variety of motors from many different companies that will work. It will work best with motors that can go 3D with 30oz for good power, but not too much in my opinion (as the weight will be around 34). Several different prop sizes can be used for different effect, I'm still not sure which one I like best, but I think pull is preferable to speed. Tests were done with hi-maxx motors (maxxprodd.com) and the P-47 flew well with an HG2025, which is geared, using 10x6 - 11x7 props and depending which gear ratio is used - though this motor is actually a bit underpowered for this size. The P-51 will not fit a geared configuration thru the front (w/out serious modification!), and will work better with an HC3510 (kv 1100) - both of these with 3 cell lipo. However, there are many motors on the market that should do it. The parkzone 480 (960kv) should work fine as well, though it has not yet been tested (its on the to-do list). you are correct about the micro servos, that is the only way to go. Also, if you plan to fly, it is really best w/out gear, or very lightweight fixed gear.
Google Adsense