PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
New sources for Pirling 1:38 railway models

I just noticed that the well-known Albrecht Pirling 1:38 free download railway paper models are no longer available at the previous source. On the other hand, they have started to become available at the two other German Forums, although they are not yet available in full there. I presume it is only a matter of time.

The Kartonmodellbau forum (owned by Thomas Pleiner) has not been a forum for a couple of months now. And the previous much appreciated download section, which had just been built up again to include amongst other models the Albrecht Pirling models, no longer carry these models. At a stroke, this download section now looks quite thin.

Instead, the Kartonist.de forum has started carrying a number of the Pirling models. In the forum as such, these models have formed the basis for a popular series of tutorials by "Airgoon". The ones available so far can be seen in the special Albrecht Pirling download section (you need to register to be able to download).

The news of the day is that the other German forum, Kartonbau.de, has started carrying Albrecht Pirling models as well. And they start with a new addition, not available anywhere else and not until now, as far as I can see (I have all the previous downloads), namely the Prussian passenger train locomotive P6, plus an accompanying tender. They, too, have mounted a special Pirling download section.

Here's what the cover of the new P6 model looks like. I am no rail expert, but it seems to me that the quality of the Pirling models have only increased over time.

The three German forums today were all formed in what is best described as a papermodeling nuclear split in 2004. Now, Seven years later, the Pleiner Kartonmodellbau forum for all practical purposes has ceased to exist (at least as a forum; it is now mainly a depository for Thomas Pleiner's own designs and a few other models). The Kartonist.de forum started as the smallest of the three German fora (in my estimate), but as of late it appears to have grown larger in attendance than even the big one until now, the Kartonbau.de.

What led to the demise of the Pleiner forum, I have simply no idea, and I have only scant information about the changes between the two other fora. One thing I have heard testimonies about is the style of leadership of the previously largest forum, Kartonbau.de. As a result several leading papermodelers gradually dropped off, mainly going to the Kartonist.de forum. There, the day-to-day tone of communication between members is generally much appreciated, as far as I've been able to follow it.

It is to be hoped that the present leadership of the Kartonbau.de has drawn the right conclusions from this experience. Several of the old leadership has stepped down, whether for this reason or others I cannot say. In addition, they have recently updated their forum software (well worth studying, incidentally). Only future will tell whether a new culture of leadership is really emerging, and whether it will be enough to retain members.

The situation today thus is that we have two forums on the German scene, now roughly equal in size (if attendance numbers can be used as a measure). Hopefully, recent changes will inaugurate an era where members of the two fora at least will be able to refer to the other forum with proper names (not mentioning refering to each other with links). One interesting and noteworthy parallell development has been that a number of members from both of these fora as of late also have become members here at Papermodelers.com.

As for the Adolf Pirling models, it is to be hoped that they will become available again, eventually, in full and at both of these fora. It could even be one of the things that would help bring the German cardmodel building community together again. At the moment,though, the situation is that the earlier models are still not available anywhere, as far as I can tell.

If someone has better knowledge, please add to and/or correct this description.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
New sources for Albrecht Pirling 1:38 free download railway models-p6-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-06-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Good info on these sites Leif. The P6 is very impressive looking and hopefully the 'Airgoon' tutorials will make building these wonders of the rails easier.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
On Fora & Pirling

Thanks for the update Leif.

I have somewhat avoided the Kartonbau site for some time now, checking in only infrequently. I still haven't become comfortable with the new format - only time will tell on that point.

Pirling's models and tutorial series are prizes that need solid support. Hopefully they will find a proper home...,

Best, +Gil
Old 08-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you, Leif, for mentioning kartonist.de here in your post.

As a memeber of the admin team I would like to underline that any new members are very much welcome to our coumunity.
There are no language problems - the team and the very most of the members are english speaking.
At the time beeing we use a, maybe antique looking, procedure by mail for subscribing. This has only to do with our intention to welcome just active members to our family which take part by reports and posts and so we beg for some information about the attende.
If anybody of you guys would like to take part on our comunity please do not hesitate to mail us.
We would be happy.

Greetings

Munich
Old 08-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Tryed to register but page link not working......HELP.......Rich
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.54 GB
Thomas closed his forum due to Time costraints I believe.
He has opened the Download section as a Stand-alone entity now. ALL models that
were in the section before are back now
His site is now simply www.papermodels.de
You still have to be registered to download, but your old log-in should be good.

This is discussed more indepth Here in this area.

I will look for the thread.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Dan "The-EDSEL" - I am sorry to have to correct you:

Quote:
ALL models that were in the section before are back now.
I was as surprised as I'm sure you will be when you actually check. Yesterday I discovered that this is not so, and that is the news I tried to get across.

All models in the stand-alone download section of the Kartonmodellbau certainly were back at one time, not so long ago. The Pirling models are all gone now. And you no longer have to be registered to download. I believe the thread you're looking for on this forum is here.

Richkat - if your problem is registering at Kartonist.de, OHI in the post before yours tried to explain how to do it, and why, but perhaps failed to mention clearly enough that you have to do it by sending an email to an address supplied in a red frame at the top of the Kartonist.de portal page:

Quote:
Send an e-mail to the following address: kartonist(at)hotmail.com. Please write us who you are, from where you are, your birth date and your desired nickname. We prefer your real name as nickname. We will send you a password which you can change later in your user-profile. This is a bit circuitous but in the moment the only way.
I can almost hear you saying: "Well, once you know it's there..."

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-07-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Leiff for your assistance. Very much appreciated!

Munich
Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Thanks Leif....once more the forum takes care of me......Rich
Old 08-15-2011, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Richkat, refresh my memory, please. What is the protocol, if any, for sharing free files. I know we cannot post them here. But, are we allowed to notify others that we have the files and are willing to share?