PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I was able to export them as dxf with splines using Ghostview. they opened in Corel Draw without fills. The drawing lines are clear and defined but fills are gone (bitmaps stripped out?). Lines are also not connected (could be reconnected?). Some of the text is distorted (could be replaced?).

The attached sample result is bitmapped and reduced in scale.

~Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Thanks Douglas,

I thought so too, but when I open the files in Illustrator the coloured fields aren't preserved as bitmaps, but the programme sees fit to scan it in some queer vector way. That's my problem.

In other similar files, the pdfs have always opened exactly like you described, as vector objects plus bitmap files.

Have you actually been able to open the files the proper way in a vector programme? If so, I'd be very much grateful for any version (svg, ai, or a pdf saved to preserve vector + bitmap editability) that I could try my hands on.

I would like to enlarge it, and possible recolour it, you see, and I don't want to go the Photoshop way when the vector possibility is so close...

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-samplefvl.jpg  

Last edited by B-Manic; 07-28-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: More Cowbell
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Well it's true each file can take upwards of a week to open and a further fortnight to print but elsewise I'm not sure I can see what all the fuss is about .....

.... although I do recommend the use of a halfway decent vector graphics programme (as usual adobe and corel just can't seem to hack it).

:D

But then the why of why this is necessary to be done is completely beyond my feeble imaginings.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf fuse p7 part.pdf (3.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-29-2008, 03:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thanks Douglas & Maurice, for encouragement and for demonstrating that it is possible.

- L.

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 07-29-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Managed to restore files

Just a progress report: I have managed to restore all files in a pure vector format (.ai - Illustratior), and at ordinary vector file sizes, too. It was a lot of work.

Just like Maurice observed, the original files took a small age to open in Illustrator, and they were huge in size as well as cluttered up with tens of thousands of small coloured lines. I suppose it was Illustrators way of reading a pdf not saved specifically to preserve vector editability.

Cleaning all that up was a mixture of trying to highlight all the offending orphan paths, and of finding them in the "layers" window. Everything marked "group" had to go.

I now had a pure black & white file. Anybody interested in that, can have it.

I also restored all the original colours, in the form of freshly drawn vector colour fields. Not that I believe that for example the interior green is the best colour chosen (Philippe Rennesson's own build displays a different, darker shade), but in order to be able to change those colours in a flick of a moment.

Third, I substituted all part numbers with proper fonts. Plus I translated all comments as best as I could.

The result is seven new files, all vector through-and-through, and translated into English. All parts retain their original positions. The files could be used by anyone interested in doing some recolouring. However, if you are satisfied with the existing colour scheme, there is no reason to use anything but the original files.

Just as an illustration, I attach the files in their present state. Don't use these for building, they are just illustrations. The size is "universal", i.e. 279 x 210 mm, fitting both A4 & letter paper sizes.

I intend to continue working on these files, and - who knows - I might actually do it some day. At least now it's possible.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-3-view-1.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-3-view-2.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-fuse-1.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-fuse-2.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-wings-1.jpg  

Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-wings-2.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-wings-3.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Original drawings & manual!

Meanwhile, Jan Müller over at Kartonbau.de came up with a link to a wonderful source, namely a gliders' club in Germany who is selling a restored AV36 - and they are supplying full online documentation of the aircraft, including wonderful photos, and a complete original 1957 AV36 manual. These are the relevant links:

D3662 for sale AV36C, built 1957, restored 1992, 66 hours total flight time!
Oldtimer Segelflugzeug Verkauf Fauvel AV 36 C - Startseite

D3662 photo album
Oldtimer Segelflugzeug Verkauf Fauvel AV 36 C - Bilder

D3662 download handbook & flight log
Oldtimer Segelflugzeug Verkauf Fauvel AV 36 C - Betriebshandbuch

For starters, I'll attach a number of haunting photos from that site, so you can see that it is worth visiting.

Note from the transport photos that the nose cone is detachable, and that the rudders fold at 90 degrees. In fact, this is the intended way to transport the aircraft, and the way the designer got the overall length of 3.05 meters down to the required 2.38 meters for transporting on public highways. This is clear from the sketches in the handbook. (Next post)
Attached Thumbnails
Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-flight-1.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-flight-2.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-panel-1.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-panel-2.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-panel-3.jpg  

Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-transport-1.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-transport-2.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-transport-3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM

Original drawings

From the manual ("Betriebshandbuch") you can have all sorts of wonderful original sketches, including an original 1957 3-view useful for recolouring (positon of ply-covered parts, ribs, aileron basic structure, etc.).

There are also sketches of the linkages, and handles in the cockpit. I think Philippe Rennesson must have had access to these files when making the model.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-01-cover.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-18-three-view-180.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-19-control-stick-1-180.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-20-control-stick-2-180.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-21-rudder-control.jpg  

Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-22-airbrakes-coupling.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-24-weight-balance.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-29-coupling.jpg  
Old 08-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Now You've Done It...,

Hi Leif,

The Fauvel thread brought out past memories of Jim Marske's and Jim Maupin's efforts in Ultralight Sailplanes. Are you familiar with the Pioneer II & Carbon Dragon?

+Gil
Old 08-04-2008, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Oh dear, and there was me trying to discourage rather than encourage.

(So that people don't think I'm prepared to pointlessly waste my time, I'd better explain that the method I used to extract the outlines takes only 2 simple and quick steps.)

What if ... perhaps, just perhaps ... the complexity of the files is a deliberate act by the designer.

Which it obviously is .....
Old 08-04-2008, 02:14 PM

Wood colours possible to achieve

Progress report: I have made my first ever attempt to achieve a wood colour, or pattern, on a kit. When I first downloaded the Fauvel, and then the beautiful see-through drawing reproduced earlier in this thread, the thought struck me how beautiful this aircraft would be to model when covered, but not yet painted.

I've only seen one really good example of this, namely Jan Müller's Slingsby T21b glider, which can be had as a free download, in both colours and wooden finish - a commendable practice! Go download it, and study how he's done it; it helped me a lot!

What really got me with the Fauvel was the intricate pattern on the fins, where three layers of plywood intersect at different angles. Plus of course the challenge of replicating the pattern of ribs and spars in the wings, ailerons, and fins. This is all invisible under white and red paint in the downloaded model.

And then I've always wondered why so many homebuilt aircraft are painted over, hiding the beautiful wood pattern. Exterior fabric covering I understand; there is a practical reason for that (protecting the fabric from weakening induced by UV radiation), but the interior?

So I wanted to see if I could learn how to "paint with patterns" as it were. The task is to fill the areas that now are painted, with wood patterns of different kind - ash, mahogany, common spruce, plywood, you name it.

What I've learned today is that it is indeed possible to fill vector areas precisely with wood patterns. I may have used a roundabout way, but here it is:

1. Temporarily hide everything but the black outlines of parts, and export a .bmp (or in my case a Photoshop) file from your vector-based graphic programme.

2. In your pixel-based graphic programme place suitable pictures of wood under each part. Direct them as you wish (angles & directions of grains). Cut them roughly to shape.

3. Hide everything but the roughly cut patterns, and import into your vector programme.

4. For each part, make a mask of the outline plus the imported .bmp file. You now got a perfectly cut wooden part!

For now, I've only used one kind of wood. I just wanted to learn the procedure. Now I am going to search for different kinds of wood, and I have one extremely good source to share for anyone who wishes to pursue this line of enquiry, namely: [CG Textures] - The worlds largest free texture site . (There is a download limit of 15 MB per day on that site, so you may have to come back several days in a row. I got a dozen or so at one go.)

The advantage of this site is that you get really large pictures of wood surfaces, suitable for high resolution work, and enabling you to cover large areas.

You may wonder why I didn't use textures (patterns). I think that may be a good option as well, as long as you create your own large areas of wood in the pixel program. If you try to just fill in the areas imported as a black & white file, you will get very jagged edges. I have one example of that, since that was the first thing I tried.

Pictures below show:

Pic 1. The instrument panel and some main part of the interior. I'm pretty proud of the instruments - made them by distorting the photo in my last post of the instrument panel of the German Fauvel up for sale; cleaned up each instrument individually (including the fastening bolts!) and imported them into Illustrator on top of the new wooden instrument panel. Great improvement on the rather bland brown original in the download.

Pic 2. Some formers and covering elements. These should be in different woods (plywood for covering parts). Why not have some fun while you build? - Even if you'll never see those formers again, they will look very nice while building. And it doesn't cost that much extra effort...

Pic 3. The attempt to make a wood pattern by filling out the black & white image in Photoshop. Note the jagged edges of the three parts, and compare to the clean cut achieved eventually. LESSON: DON'T DO IT THIS WAY. Or, by all means, make the rough part by filling out the b&w contour, but if so, expand the selection you fill so that you get the equivalent of a roughly cut part, then make the final clean cut in your vector programme.

Pic 4. Just an overview of the section I've been working on so far. Makes you think that a mixture of wooden parts and red colour would be pretty nice!

Pic 5. What the working file in Photoshop looks like. A lot of roughly-cut pieces, overlapping the black and white contours (in a different layer). Only the layer with texture is imported back into Illustrator.

Leif

PS - Gil, no I haven't seen those aircraft. Would be pretty interesting to compare!
Attached Thumbnails
Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-instr.panel.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-formers.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-textures.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-mixed.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-working-file.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-04-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 AM

Fauvel's followers

Gil, I looked up the Pioneer II and the Carbon Dragon. Only the Pioneer is a tailless, unless I'm mistaken.

Jim Marske is cited on the Nurflügel site as one of the "most inventive and prolific" followers of Charles Fauvel. Among his designs pictured the Pioneer II and the Monarch stand out.

I attach a few photos of them. The three first are of the Pioneer, and the two next of the Monarch. Finally two small three-views of both aircraft from the Nurflügel site (link above).

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-69971115.8wjfwczf.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-p2d_1.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-p2d_2.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-monarch.jpg   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-mona_1.jpg  

Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-planp2d.gif   Fauvel AV36 glider 1:33 by Philippe Rennesson-planmona.gif  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-05-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Google Adsense