PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Some hobby shops and toy stores in the US now sell highly detailed assembled and painted models made in China, that are cheaper than the un-assembled kit, and look better than what most people can do. I think that might be the ideal worker's hobby, money is spent, but no significant amount of time is lost on an unproductive activity.

Carlos: I have seen a trend where some US companies have started "asking" that employees have off hour interests that will serve the companies PR needs, ie some sort of politically correct community activity. And since doing work from home by PC is an unspoken requirement for many jobs, I think the days of anyone holding down a corporate job having time for a hobby are over. I am very sorry that Europe has not been immune to that policy.
The cost of paper models plays a big role in being able to part with them: either give them away or leave them lying around the work place to be adopted , when the collection at home starts overflowing its shelf.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.69 MB
As I look around my REAL world, I see things from this point of view: "How can I re-create that in paper?". You just can't that when you work in p*as*ic. I still buy some "box" kits, but only to use as references. If they ever do 'outlaw' hobbies, you can bet there will be someone making paper and glue in their cellar!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos filipe View Post
But it is not only the plastic kits market. Here in Europe it starts to show on the shelves laser cut models (paper models) with an obscene pricing. I can try to understand the implications of project development for a plastic model and the impact of mould making in the process. But a kit made out of card, cut by a computer that only requires another file, not new tooling is even more incomprehensive for me.
Tooling is expensive in plastic modeling but not that expensive as it used to be and proof of that is that cottage-industry offers more and more injection molded models. Those short runs and limited editions always stay expensive.
Revell Germany sets in my opinion the high volume producers prize-range quite well, everything else is more or less over prized.
As what it comes card modeling and laser cutting I think it's just normal evolution, if there is a demand there will always be producers to fill that market. Super detailing and ease of construction is a boon in plastic modeling too.
Old school builders enjoy scatch-building and are talented enough to do so, us mere mortals need to buy aftermarket goodies to be able to imitate that.

A confession: I just bought 1:72 scale Shipyard laser cut model of pinnace Papegojan and I'm so glad I did so. It's wonderfull to see what can be made with modern technology and how that in the hands of skillfull builder (and I don't mean me) transforms to a life like scale presentation of the subject. I'll give it a try anyway someday.

Tappi
Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.42 MB
Hi Tapcho: I almost bought the Papegajeon some months ago, it is hard to resist, but sttled for the Marjaniemi lighthouse, near Oulu for starts.
ther'es an example of highly detailed laser cut kit at a reasonnable price. it isn't cheap, but you get a lot for the money invested.
I still don't know if i go for Christmas to Espoo, if I do, I'll beg for a pick at that model.
Hi RickTNRicker: I undestand you, when you ask yourself "how shall I do this in..." I disagree with the rest. Plastic is great to work and quite forgiving, unlike certain sour ladies...
I have worked with plastic, never managed to do out-of-the-box as i allways added something, that probably was my need to imprint individuality to the model then to build more accurate.
Probably palstic (and resin) has come up to a high level of marketing sophistication to charm us to buy anything they sell.
last century I bought the concept that CDs were much better then vynil. Sold almost all my collection and replaced it with junk. I stoped buying Cds for nearly 10 years and I used to buy at least 10 records (or Cds) a month. It is an industry that lost my respect. Cannot understand the princing. So maybe one day plastic will be in the same position.
Hi John Wagensein: The whole world got mad. probably it is the same there, but here in Europe I have seen friends that are not "allowed" to disconnect the celular after work hours. I saw it here in Portugal and saw it also in Helsinki, Finland.
One should think that a worker that has the creativity to build a model, meaning research and project mannaging should be an asset to any company.
Rgds
Carlos