PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
1966 Batmobile Reference pics

for those of you that are building the 1966 Batmobile from paperinside.com I found these links after checking out peter taft's build thread

Batmobile

1966 Batmobile
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
"Extending the drive train eleven inches Barris sculpted a 23-foot aerodynamic hand-formed steel body over the Futura chassis with front-end twin nostril scoops and an impressive jet-styled turbine engine exhaust nozzle. He then mounted a moon-equipped 429 racing Ford engine, with dual Granitelli Paxton turbo chargers with nitro oxide thrust control and a hydro-trans mounted into a locked posi-traction rear "

First time I've ever heard that the Futura wheelbase was extended. Just had a thing a couple of months ago on the model car board I frequent comparing the new Batmobile kit with the old Revell Futura. The new kit was longer wheelbase and overall and the conclusion was that the Futura was underscale (box scale).
Also think the Lincoln engine was retained, if for no other reason then time factors. The 429 engine didn't come out until a late year option in the 66 Tbird. Also Paxton didn't build turbos at that time, if they ever did. They did a centrifigual supercharger as used on the Avanti, Sudebaker, and 57 Ford that some people confuse as a turbo. Barris had used a a twin Paxton system on the Surf Woodie that AMT did a kit of.
Don't know of any nitrous systems that were around at that time except on vintage German warbirds, still about 12-14 years before they started showing up. Enough rivet counting on the mechanical stuff that doesn't even show on the model. Just some of that stuff gets to me some times and George Barris irritates me most of the time. And yes, I've meant him several time, had mutual aquaintances, etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.68 MB
Another reference

There's a company here in Indiana called Fiberglass Freaks that makes fully licensed replicas of the '66 Batmobile that are just plain sweet.

Here's their Facebook page too, which also has some great Batmobile Pics.

And of course, there's always this site dedicated to the car http://www.1966batmobile.com/

with plenty of detailed images, of the Barris original; the Barris fiberglass replicas, and various fan-replicas, including those of the Fiberglass Freaks.

Last edited by chard774; 11-04-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.54 GB
I have the Paper kit as well as both available P-L plastic kits. I will also get the Deluxe kit coming out later this month or next.
The roof flasher is a Very poor replica in the plastic kits though.

I hope to get to the paper build soon.
Just need a place to work!!
(though I may have to scale it down to match the plastic kits.
I Don't have the room for larger builds!!

These sites are now in my permanent bookmarks!!

The car was Not quite ready for taping though. They replaced the street tires with Indy tires, and in the first scene,
blew a tire coming out of the Batcave. (Indy cars were Half the weight of the Batmobile At MOST!)
The Ignition fell out, it was in Primer black, or Dark gray in very early shots, & the stripes were still white then.

There are a lot of places with info on this car. and Yes, Not everything Barris says about it is true.

Last edited by The-EDSEL; 11-04-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 PM

The paperinside Batmobile was my FIRST paper model!

I found it on google and said "there is no way that is made of paper" so I had to download it and do it myself. That got me hooked!

But the reason I was so interested was that I was (and am) a huge Batman fan...

This was the car I drove for 2 years back in my younger wild days It eventually became a money-pit for me and I ended up entering it into the local demolition derby. It was a big hit with the crowd.

This car was lavendar and cream colored, so I -HAD- to paint it of course! The paint scheme was a no-brainer. This is a '59 olds delta 88 BTW.
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 PM

great pic of your car mtoboll!,.. very cool!

EDSEL
at 1/24 scale there are some details on this papermodel that require tweezers!,.. and medication for carpal tunnel hahaha,.. paper inside's model might look cool even at 1/18th scale,.. a little bit more room for some extra details or to bring notice to ones that are hard to see,.. the artwork is rendered nice and is sharply detailed!

chard774 thanks for additional links their very cool!!

never really knew anything about barris,.. but research for any model always brings it to life!,.. also gives you a chance to meet some very cool and interesting people!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I had the corgi batmobile that looked like this,..
http://www.1966batmobile.com/husky.jpg
but the car had a button on the hood that you could press and a bat blade came out the front,.. and you could put red plastic things in the silver cylinders and click a wheel that would fire them out of tubes,.. it was very very cool,.. the car looked like this one
http://www.1966batmobile.com/corgibat1.jpg
Old 11-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
Still have mine....3 actually.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM

sweet! anchorman,.. I started to build it after looking at peter taft's build,.. its coming along nicely,.. I might build a second one but bigger,..
Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
"Extending the drive train eleven inches Barris sculpted a 23-foot aerodynamic hand-formed steel body over the Futura chassis with front-end twin nostril scoops and an impressive jet-styled turbine engine exhaust nozzle. He then mounted a moon-equipped 429 racing Ford engine, with dual Granitelli Paxton turbo chargers with nitro oxide thrust control and a hydro-trans mounted into a locked posi-traction rear "

I've been close enough to touch the original Futura Batmobile several times, and NO, the wheelbase was NOT stretched at all. Initial changes to the car to create the Batmobile were entirely cosmetic, and the original drivetrain remained intact, though the Lincoln engine was problematic and was replaced during the run of the show, with a stock Ford engine from a Galaxie. I believe the car with the supercharged 429 was the drag-version replica that Barris built for the show circuit.
Google Adsense