PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Hope I'm not dragging the thread off topic, cMags & Nava, but it always amuses me when people speak of X-Acto knives as dangerous. Let's remember that before the 1950s, when such craft knives became available, young men and boys who built balsa and tissue airplanes had to use razor blades. The finger slices they received when the blade slipped or snapped were far more numerous and severe than the occasional nick we might sustain today. Craft knives became popular almost overnight because they were an obvious advance in safety.

This does not mean that either razor blades or X-Acto knives belong in 4th-grade classrooms, and it must be a real achievement to devise a version of the San Salvador that such young children can make with round-nose scissors. But by the time these kids get to junior high, I do think they should be capable of using craft knives safely.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Amen to that, Yale. When I started fooling with stick and tissue at the age of 8, the tool making process was to snap a double edge razor blade in half, then breaking each of the halves on a diagonal to form (usually) a total of four pointed blades...assuming there wasn't so much blood loss by then that the blades were too slippery to hold. Every time I got a new model, my mother made sure to stock up on a couple extra boxes of bandaids. What my folks wouldn't have given for me to have a nice safe hobby knife back then.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I personally LOVE x-acto blades . . . couldn't live without them. But, man, are they super sharp! The two accidents that I had were both because the blade slipped. It was fast, and I didn't quite know what had happened. The cuts were so clean, quick, and painless that there wasn't even any blood . . . until 30 seconds later when it came gushing out.

On my own models, I usually only provide a warning about blades. And, I know that kids way younger than 9/10 years old put my models together without a single problem—you can't put one together without a craft knife. Kids are definitely not dumb. I have two nephews (3 & 9) who are smart as whips.

When I spoke with Bruce Linder from the museum, safety and school policies were two issues. Not a big ones, but something to keep in mind. We both saw 4th graders using some type of blade (how else are you going to cut slots & slits?). So, we want to offer some details as being optional cut-outs. It's really up to the builder how much effort they want to put in. And, I'm going to try to do it in a way that will still offer a great-looking model even if those details are not cut out, so there's little/no penalty for skipping a few steps. It won't look like someone "forgot" to cut something out. But, the museum has last say, and everything goes to a committee. We'll see exactly what happens.

Oh, and there may not be round masts. The museum's model group had a hard time forming Mr. Detyna's masts, so they've asked for an alternative. I personally think that round masts are always the way to go. Since I'll be using thinner media, I'm going to have them try forming the masts again, along with some alternative versions. The alternatives will not look as nice as rounded masts, but, again, the call is up to the museum.

P.S. I LOATH round-tipped safety scissors!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM

You know, now that I think of it, there are ceramic cutters out there (thank-you, Amazon). They're much safer than metal blades, and can cut through thin media. I don't think they cut as clean as metal blades, but it's an option, right? Has anyone used a ceramic blade? I think I'll order one (which one?) from Amazon, or try to find one in a store. That will be a nice thing to review during testing.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
So the resl question to my mind is will Roman's original model be made available in some way. For people used to Roman's work, his instructions are no problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava Designs View Post
You know, now that I think of it, there are ceramic cutters out there (thank-you, Amazon). They're much safer than metal blades, and can cut through thin media. I don't think they cut as clean as metal blades, but it's an option, right? Has anyone used a ceramic blade? I think I'll order one (which one?) from Amazon, or try to find one in a store. That will be a nice thing to review during testing.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
I looked into these once before, but never tried it myself. The most often heard complaint was that the tips weren't aligned perfectly straight, so the blade would wander towards or away from a straight edge. Though this may not be as big a concern for free-handing the cut, which is what I normally do anyway. The best of them I though was the Slice:

Amazon.com: Slice 00116 Ceramic Blade Precision Cutter, Green: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

The prices came down, might be worth a shot.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaloakmin View Post
So the resl question to my mind is will Roman's original model be made available in some way. For people used to Roman's work, his instructions are no problem.
Yes, Nava Designs indicated earlier that Roman's model will be made available and that he has been tasked with creating an additional, simpler version. Both should be available soon. The waiting continues, but is nearly over!
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM

I'm confused - do we have a new ETA for this model? The thread got lost somewhere along the way while we waited... :-)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Sorry, no new ETA. I did let them know about the confusing dates on the website, and that the paper model community is chomping at the bit to get the model. The museum is insistent on testing and approving everything, so who knows how long that will take.

I also do not know if both models will be released at the same time. If that's the case, they'll be holding Roman's model until mine is finished (mid-late May). I'm typically a fast worker, so it could be earlier. I always add extra time to compensate for unseen complications.

I was looking at the Slice cutter on Amazon, too. I think I may have used a ceramic blade in the past, but I'm not certain. Still, it's worth a review. I don't plan on replacing my x-acto knives, but it'll be handy to have in case my 3-year-old nephew decides he has to cut paper, too. He always wants to do what everyone else is doing, and won't accept any substitutions. Brat.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
I still have a scar on my left wrist from an X-Acto knife.

I was perhaps 16 and trying to split a plastic toy gun open along the seam on the barrel.

The knife slipped and hit my left wrist and got the artery.

Blood shot about 15 feet and hit the TV screen in the living room.

My parents were not home so I held the cut with my right thumb and had my little brother call a taxi.

The taxi took me to my family doctor's office where the cut was stitched.

Ah ! Memories of the good old days.
Google Adsense