PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 09-06-2008, 12:10 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
I Want One of These...,

GPM has introduced their Mitsubishi F1M1 code named "Pete" by the Allies in the Second World War. I'm not sure about whether the catapult has to be purchased separately. But never mind, I really like the style of this model. I plan to place an order for one as soon as the last order I placed with Orlik arrives........................................... .............................,

+Gil

Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Judging from this thread at Kartonbau.de, plus the links to GPM in there, it seems that the catapult is part of the kit, but that the sets of laser-cut parts can be bought separately (formers + catapult), or as a combo (kit + laser-cut formers + laser-cut catapult). The latter is cheaper.

Leif
Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
I hope this is only builder's glitch - Pete had distinctive dihedral of the wings outside of the struts. This model looks like they are completely flat...
Attached Thumbnails
I Want One of These...,-f1m2.jpg  
Old 09-06-2008, 08:20 AM

Ddd

Leif, thanks for clarifying the GPM offering.
Michael, it appears that Design Deficit Disorder (DDD) knows no boundaries. Dihedral does make for a better looking (and accurate) model especially if showing the aircraft with the wings folded. I am wondering whether GPM is cognizant of this yet?

+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 09-06-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
as one suffering from that as well, nice pick-up Mike
Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
well to clear some things up. The kit does come with the catapault ( I just got mine friday). I haven't gone over the actual nitty gritty details so I can't comment on wing dihedral etc. The green printing of the aircraft is very dark green about the shade of GPM's Raiden kit. I'll post a more detailed scout report when I get home tonight.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Finally home. The design and instructions do show wing dihedral outboard of the centre wing root section. It is a very detailed airplane kit, with detailed engine, cockpit/observers section etc. The catapault seems relatively basic though for something this size. Alot of laminating to be done though, maybe enough to warrant getting the laser cut parts. 5 pages of instructions, 11 pages of parts, @ 4 of tehm to be laminated. I saw @ 4 because some are on regular thin paper and obviously need laminated, and 1-2 pages have a lot of stars on the card stock printed parts. My only "gripe" is the almost black green colour of the plane itself, much darker than the cover photo would indicate. I'll post pics when the canon batteries are charged up.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 PM

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Seems that color management isn't yet a practiced art (unfortunately).

A little OT but I saw something that's just being introduced by HP called DreamColor(TM). They're introducing an LCD display line with RGB LED back lighting. It's the first time I've actually seen over saturated colors on an LCD screen. It's expensive right now but will come down in price over time. We are definitely getting closer to WYSIWYG though.

The color error will most likely mean that the exterior skins will have to be scanned and modified to realize something close to the original (scale adapted of course).

It's good to hear that dihedral is not an issue. Does it show anything regarding folded wings? Building them folded may not be the best way to show the aircraft in just the catapult setting but it's still a thought.

The catapult being plain may indicate that it wasn't a high priority on GPM's list. Now, what exactly, does a standard Mk. I IJN catapult look like? Michael?

+Gil
Old 09-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
For WYSIWYG ... there are calibration tools that one can put over the monitor. You run software and it tells you more or less how to adjust your monitor to get true and proper print color. The problem is that we are in an RGB world and print in CMYK.

As for the Catapult in the kit. It's good to see a little something added to stage a kit.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The problem of colour calibration has been understood for ages - that's why most colour devices can use ICC profiles (a set of colour corrections) to adjust the colours by software. You can buy a standardised colour target to calibrate scanner, monitor and printer to pretty accurately reproduce correct colours. However the calibration (ICC profile) applies to only a single machine and must be redone for each machine/new hardware.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense