PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Jangseung

A jangseung or village guardian is a Korean "totem Pole" usually made of wood.

Á¾À̸ðÇü¹æ :: ³×À̹ö Ä«Æä

Slightly tricky to get to download, be persistent.
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Tricky!! Clicked on most everything on the page, and no download! Google translate isn't any help either.

Could you help a guy out and point me in the right direction?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Still tricky from here

Click on the PDF icon, look in the right column

???????? ???? ?????.

Look around for the links to other model downloads.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Neat find, John. Brought back a lot of memories.

When I lived in Korea in the early 1960s and most of the 1970s, these spirit posts were common outside of villages. Farmers danced the Farmers' Dance (nongchum) in earnest at planting and harvest times. Hiking in the mountains you could hear the distant echoes of brass bells, gongs, and drums as shamans (Mudang) did ceremonial dances in hidden hollows and glens.

I have a carved set of spirit posts watching over my desk at my office.

The Hanja (Chinese characters) on the left post (천하 대장군 Cheonha daejanggun) means something like "Great General under Heaven" (literally "Heaven under great general"). Those on the right post (지하 여 대 장군 Cheonha yeo daejanggun) is literally "Underground Female General."

Don
Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 PM

Thank you, John.

Don might be interested in some of the other links in that site. I saw one that had pages and pages of the real ones that the blogger photographed. It was quite entertaining. Some seem to be serious, while others reminded me of the chainsaw sculptures you see in the Ozarks.

I don't know if it's just my computer or my old eyes, but I still don't see a pdf icon. No right column, either, though.

Does he have the templates for the Singijeon or Cheomseongdae observatory? Or are those just part of his gallery of builds?

Last edited by Vermin_King; 02-25-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Went back and still don't see a pdf icon ...
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for pointing out the other treasures at the site, VK. I will have to take a closer look.

Incidentally, I was reminded of a long-ago conversation with a fellow older grad student in Hawaii. At the time (early 70s) I was an Army major working on an MA in Asian Studies and she was a Roman Catholic sister who was working on her Ph.D. in Japanese diplomatic history. Later, Lil and I were back in Korea and Sister Debby visited us from time to time as a break from her archival research in Japan. The three of us would roam the historical sites and remote areas of Korea.

Anyway, during a conversation over coffee in the campus cafeteria, she suggested that there was something universal about the Korean spirit posts -- a theme that occurred across cultures and religions -- and that the inscriptions might be translated as "male sky god" and "earth mother goddess."

Don
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM

Thanks, guys, I have this model now. Also from the site is this one and it won't let me get the properties to post the pic. Á¾À̸ðÇü¹æ :: ³×À̹ö Ä«Æä

This is the Cheomseongdae observatory. The second model on this page was originally available to download, but the link will not work and cannot be pulled up from Wayback Machine. Á¾À̸ðÇü¹æ :: ³×À̹ö Ä«Æä

If anyone knows of a current download location for either the first or second model of this observatory, I would appreciate it.

Son of a buck, nevermind those links. This whole website is screwy. When you click on the banner at the top and scroll down, under the Jangweung pic is the observatory

Click on the pic and it takes you to an article and one of the links takes you to a search page that has this model and the model that was originally available, but I can find no way to get to a download. The original download link is http://shy0221.tistory.com/485, but Wayback cannot retrieve.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Thanks for pointing out there were still more paper models linked to the site I had posted. I just downloaded the cheugugi (rain gauge).

I found a link to the cheomseongdae observatory (I cannot tell you how I did it other than that I randomly clicked everything until I had lots of open windows and my computer was almost frozen.) Navigating a Korean page is even odder than trying to get around in a Japanese site. There is a lot of Java script and "hidden" buttons.

???????? ???? ?????.

It looks like it is a pay model.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM

Did you see the old version by following the path I tried to map out? That was the one that was free at one time. Wayback opened it this time http://shy0221.tistory.com/485

But eight attachments and they won't all open, not that I'd know what to do with the mystery file types anyway.

And yes, I had to snag the rain guage and the wedding goose myself
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 PM

The alz file type is a compressed file type developed in South Korea.

ALZip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have not looked for a program that will decompress these files.
Google Adsense